I Am 41 Years Old and Considering a Chinlipo. Will my Skin Tighten Enough? (photo)

I am 41 years old and considering a chinlipo. Will my skin tighten enough? I have a normal weigth and underchin runs in the family.

Options for neck rejuvenation

+1
Neck Lift (Cervicoplasty / Platysmaplasty): restoring elegance to the face
Though it is not technically part of the face, a neck with loose, sagging skin can age the face dramatically. A neck lift is a standard part of most facelift surgeries, as the neck skin is mobilized in continuity with the lower face.
Immediately under the skin of the neck is the platysma muscle, which you can easily see in a mirror when you clench your teeth and tighten your jaw. In youth, this paired muscle meets in the midline below the chin. With age, the right and left sides of the platysma often separate, producing vertical 'cords' in the anterior neck. The platysma can be divided anteriorly and tightened during neck lift cosmetic surgery to permanently eliminate these 'cords' and improve the neck contour. One tightened in the midline below the chin, lateral traction on the platysma then creates a 'sling' which elevates the soft tissues below the jawline.
Cervical / submandibular liposuction
Some individuals have 'sagging' necks primarily due to fat accumulation below the jawbone (mandible). In some cases, liposuction alone can significantly improve the neck appearance. Liposuction is also frequently combined with surgical neck rejuvenation, and in selected cases some direct excision of fat (through a hidden incision below the chin) is performed. The reduction of fat in the area below the jawline and in the anterior neck almost always makes the neck appear longer, and makes the patient's profile appear more elegant or refined.
Suture suspension neck lift
In cosmetic surgery patients that do not have a sharp transition in profile between the submental area (area below the jawline) and the anterior neck, and in patients who simply want that transition enhanced, I add a 'suture suspension necklift'. A permanent suture is passed subcutaneously across the anterior neck, at the level corresponding to depth of the angle between the submental area and anterior neck, and is then anchored to the deep soft tissues behind each earlobe. This suspension cosmetic surgery procedure can dramatically enhance the definition between the jawline and anterior neck, producing a more elegant profile.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Will chin lipo tighten my skin enough?

+1

Based on your photo, it appears you would benefit from submental/jowl liposuction. An in-person exam would really be necessary to determine if you would benefit from this procedure only, as elasticity of the skin is a major determinant of the expected result. A neck lift combined with the lipo would help, and may give you the best result. From here, I would recommend a consult with a board certified surgeon who has a great deal of experience. He/she will be able to assess your needs and see what you may benefit from. I hope this helps, and please feel free to ask any specific questions about surgery. I would be happy to answer them for you!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Yes, Lipo Will Work, Combination Suggested

+1

We see fullness and laxity underchin and with a combination treatment to remove the fat (fullness) under the chin and tighten the skin with the laser lipo process along with Ultherapy for lifting and tightening the area - it's a home run.

Douglas J. Key, MD
Portland Dermatologic Surgeon

Not the best picture for this.

+1

However, I would be concerned that you might not get enough tightening from neck liposuction.  I suspect that you would have a much more dramatic result with a properly done lower face/neck lift.  Please bear in mind that recovering from a lower face and neck liposuction is very straight forward.  A face lift involves more recovery time.  For this reason, sometimes lower face and neck liposuction are performed as a compromise procedure.