I Am a 41 Year Old Korean Female Unhappy With Prominent Line Left After Surgery, What Can I Do?

I Am a 41 Year Old Korean Female Who Had an Upper Eye Lid Lift in Sept 2010.  I did not want to emlarge or change the shape of my eyes. My doctor removed 3mm of skin and did not increase my eyelid fold. The problem I have is that before surgery and still I have a faint line above both eyes. It is more prominent over my right eye. I am know deciding if I have another surgery to correct this problem. I have tried Botox and thermage to see if it would help and neither worked.

Scar revision

+1

If the problem is limited to the incision scar, surgical scar revision may be the appropriate choice.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asian eye with a line after eyelid lift likely from incision

+1

Having a picture would be the best thing. My thought is that the line is from the surgical incision obviously. Then you are talking about a scar revision. To improve this you could do laser resurfacing, dermabrasion or dermasanding to improve the line. This is if the line is small to begin with. You may need to remove the line through removal of more skin and then closure with fine sutures to help with the healing. Botox and Thermage will not help most of the time.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Every incision heals with a scar

+1

Unfortunately every incision heals with a scar. It is true that some scars may become hypertrophic [or thickened and raised]. This happens very rarely in the eyelids. It would be nice to post some photos of  your eyelid so we can evaluate the scar to see whether it is unusual or within the normal range.

Botox and Thermage would not be effective in diminishing a scar. Laser resurfacing can help flatten scars, but that possible benefit has to be weighed against the possibility of pigment changes that can be induced by laser resurfacing, especially in patients of Asian descent that may have darker skin. A photo of your skin tone can also be helpful to assess the pigmentation risks.

Best wishes

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon