I'm 41 & 2 kids. My weight is 65KG & I'm 1.56, breast 36E. Causing neck & back pain & a slouch forward. I want C cup. I wear 36?

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.

Other than the presence of symptoms, the “ideal” patient for breast reduction surgery is one who is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure.

With the goal of improving communication with my patients (determining their goals in regards to breast size after breast reduction surgery) I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” etc. means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

When it comes to selection of plastic surgeon, I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

You sound like perfect candidate for a breast reduction

+1

Hi,

It sounds like you would benefit from breast reduction surgery. This will decrease the weight of your breasts, thereby helping with your neck pain, back pain and posture issues. Most patients with large breasts also have a degree of breast sagging (called "ptosis"). A breast reduction procedure includes a breast lift, to put the breast tissue back up on the chest where it belongs.

There are a few things to consider. Firstly, it is possible to breast feed after breast reduction surgery but, ideally, it should be performed after you've finished having a family so the final result should be stable. Your weight should be stable (if you gain or lose a lot weight it can affect the final result). I usually ask all my patients over 40 to have a mammogram/ultrasound pre op just to make sure there are no suspicious masses in the breast. Finally, it is not possible to guarantee a particular cup size. Different bra manufacturers size breasts differently - you may be an E cup with one bra and a D cup with another brand - and that's without any surgery!

Damian Marucci, MBBS, FRACS
Australia Plastic Surgeon