I am 41 and have droopy eyelids. They aren't bad, but my mom has really hooded and droopy eyelids so I know it will get worse?

My questions is- is it better to take care of it now? Will it be an easier surgery and be preventative or is it better to wait?

41 with droopy eyelids

Hello and thank you for your question.

Without seeing you it is difficult to know exactly what you're referring to. If you truly have droopy eyelids, that's a problem called eyelid ptosis and you should be evaluated by a plastic surgeon as there are certain causes of ptosis that can be treated by surgery, and other medical conditions that cause ptosis that should not be treated by surgery. If you simply have excess upper eyelid skin, that can be addressed with a blepharoplasty procedure. I perform this procedure under local anesthesia in my office and there is very little downtime. The excess skin does not come back after blepharoplasty to likely the procedure would last you many years to come. I suggest you seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate you and help you make a decision as to whether you should pursue surgery.

Best of luck to you.

44 Hudson Street
New York, NY 10013

Blepharoplasty now or wait until the problem worsens

This is a very common question. I typically advise people to move forward with an upper blepharoplasty (or blepharoplasty and browlift if needed) when their vision is impaired or the tired appearance of heavy eyelids begins to trouble them. If neither applies, you can wait until the time is right. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

9695 S. Yosemite Street
Lone Tree, Colorado 80124

Droopy eyelid surgery in young vs old

Everybody is different and age differently. I cannot comment specifically for you without seeing a photo. In general, there are three separate aging factors that contribute to heavy upper eyelids. 1) eyelid ptosis, where the eyelid itself droops, needing ptosis surgery where the muscle responsible for lifting the eyelid is tightened; 2) upper eyelid loose extra skin, needing upper blepharoplasty to remove excess skin; 3) droopy eyebrows, with crowding of the upper eyelids, needing eyebrow lifting.

Mild problems at younger age require less aggressive surgery, with better results.

See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

9735 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Skin only upper blepharoplasty may be helpful, but it would be difficult to determine this by description alone. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facial and eyelid surgeries each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Timing of surgery is a personal choice

and there is no ideal time to have things done. With lids, as soon as there is excesses in the lid, procedures can be done, regardless of age. Aging continues despite what we do and you will eventually want a re-do years down the road or another procedure such as a browlift if that drops too low. So you should be asking yourself, is it bad enough that I would want to do this now versus waiting a little longer? And am I accepting of the risks and costs of the surgery? If so, then proceed!

Curtis Wong, MD

1950 Rosaline Avenue
Redding, CA 96001

Eyelid surgery

Have things fixed if they bother you. Your eyelids will likely worsen with age, but having them fixed now will turn back the clock so you would likely not have the changes you see in your mother.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

3324 Webster Street
Oakland, CA 94609

I am 41 and have droopy eyelids.

It is not possible to comment on your specific issue with your appearance without knowing what your appearance is, so we would need photos. In general, if the lids are bothering you it is certainly OK to get a consultation and see what can be done.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

10201 SE Main
Portland, OR 97216

When to have eyelid surgery

This is a great question. If the appearance of your eyelids is bothering you now, there is no reason to wait to have eyelid surgery. If you think your eyelids look fine now, then I wouldnt recommend having surgery just for preventive purposes.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

873 Worcester Street
Wellesley, MA 02482

Eyelid Surgery -- When is the right time?

Thank you for the difficult question. If you know what's coming, there is some advantage to taking care of this earlier on. However, if you are just starting to notice the issue, you could end up having a nice result for a few years and then coming back for a second procedure. Among plastic surgery procedures, upper eyelid surgery is relatively straightforward with a quick recovery. When you're ready, see a few qualified surgeons to get a sense of what would work best for you.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

450 Sutter St.
San Francisco, CA 94108

Droopy eyelids run in family

Assuming the droopiness is in the skin, It is best to have the upper lid lift (blepharoplasty) when you see the changes that bother you.

So you can have the blepharoplasty any time.

If you aren't sure you are ready - it is fine to wait until you are.

If the droopiness affects the eyelid itself - this is called ptosis and can be corrected separately or with a blepharoplasty.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

2045 Peachtree Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30309