Is It Safe to Have a Tummy Tuck with a Higher BMI?

I'm booked to have a TT and BA with BL next week, or rather I'm travelling with a I am to meet my highly qualified board certified surgeon. I have been dieting for 2 years, have already lost 75lbs and have plateaued weight for several months now. Just cannot lose another pound! My nutritionist tells me my body just needs a good rest for a while. Because I still have 40lbs to lose my BMI is still higher than 30. I really want my tummy tuck now, can I still proceed?

Tummy Tuck is safe even if your BMI is above normal

Having a tummy tuck even if you are not at your ideal weight is OK.  Congratulations on your weight loss.  

Having a BMI that is above 30 does not prevent you from having a tummy tuck, but you have to understand that you have a slightly increased risk of delayed healing.  We deal with many patients who had a gastric bypass or a LapBand procedure and have lost a tremendous amount of weight, yet still have a BMI >30.  The only thing we do different for these patients (as compared to patients with BMI<30) is that we are more vigilant in preventing seroma formation (when body fluid pools in the operated area and then needs to be drained) by the use of surgical drains.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

100 Front St West
Toronto , ON M5J 1E3

It is safer to do ONLY tummy tuck in overweight patients.

We do tummy tuck on patients with higher BMI. Of course, you will still be overweight, but you will have flat stomach.  This can be an incentive to lose more weight.

Measures can be taken to make procedure safe.  But I would not do your breasts at the same time.  That really increases the risk.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075

It depends on whether your remaining excess fat is internal or external to your abdomen.

I do a fair number of tummy tucks on ladies like you but also tun a fair number down until they lose more weight.  If you still have a lot of "visceral fat" inside your abdomen, a tummy tuck will not be very effective in flattening your abdomen.  If most of your excess fat is external to your abdomen, a tummy tuck will be effective.  This is the way to determine where your excess fat is.  Lie down.  If your abdomen flattens, you are a good candidate for tummy tuck.  If your abdomen stays round, you are not and you should lose more weight.  Patients who still have a lot of visceral fat are often disappointed with their results.  They are also at substantial risk for post-operative complication.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

1101 Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104-3508

Tummy tuck, weight loss, cosmetic surgery

I have to do these routinely becuse Iwork in the MIwest of the United States.  You can perform them with or without liposuction and get very reasonable results.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

1510 W. 34th Street
Austin, TX 78703

Tummy Tuck with High BMI

Many patients have tummy tucks even if they are not at their "ideal weight."  However, you have to realize that the more weight you loose, the better the results could possibly be.  My advice is to be at your "realistic weight" at the time of surgery.  By "realistic weight" I mean the weight that you are with your normal style of living, diet and exercise pattern.  It is hard to maintain an "ideal" weight if it does not match your motivation or lifestyle.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022

With tummy tuck, ideal weight gives ideal results

Despite your BMI of 30, tummy tuck is a safe procedure. Your weight loss of 75 pounds is wonderful, and the next 40 should be within your reach. The tummy tuck however is the 'easy' part. It just makes sense that the best results are seen in individuals that have reached an 'ideal' body weight, the one that they plan to remain at after the procedure.

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016

Be at your "best" weight

You will certainly get the best result from being at YOUR best weight.  As long as you are otherwise healthy and are at a stable weight, a board certified plastic surgeon can assess your best elective options for you, always understanding that safety comes first.

It sounds like you are at a stable weight and that you and your plastic surgeon have decided that your goals are reasonable and surgery can be performed safely. That's definitely a decision the two of you need to make together.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

1525 East 6000 South
Ogden, UT 84405

Tummy tuck and high BMI

You haved done a lot of work to get where you are.  I would encourage you to keep working if you can make progress on getting your BMI down.  I understand that many people will get to a certain weight and not be able to get down any more with out some extrodinary effort.

The weight that you are when you do your tummy tuck will need to be discussed with your surgeon.  I prefer to have people below a BMI of 30 but after a review of their activity and goals we may decide to proceed with surgery at a higher BMI.  As a general rule you will be at risk for higher complications for wound healing, infection and blood clots.  I would recommend higher levels of prophylaxis for these complications if your BMI is above 30.  No tummy tuck is done with out some risks but if you are careful you can have a good result and take care of any problems that occurs.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

676 South Bluff Street
St. George, UT 84770

Although you will likely be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery at some point, it is not in your best interests to proceed now.  Having the procedure performed when you are overweight, exposes you to additional risk around the time of surgery and increases your risk that additional surgery may be necessary down the line for a multitude of reasons.  Unfortunately, some of the risks (such as deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism) associated with surgery, at your current weight, can be life-threatening. 

The “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight. 

At this point, I would suggest that you  seek consultation with other professionals,  other than plastic surgeons.  Physicians who specialize in weight loss, nutritionists, personal trainers, and/or bariatric surgeons are professionals to consider.  

Having said this, there are some patients who despite all efforts, are not able to reach their long-term stable weight prior to undergoing abdominal wall contouring surgery. These patients benefit from operations such as panniculectomy ( which involves excision of the lower abdominal wall skin/adipose tissues.  For these patients, the panniculectomy operation may provide the patient a “jumpstart”  both physically and mentally (as he/she works towards achieving their final weight and health goals). 

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Tummy tuck when overweight and above 30 BMI

Having a tummy tuck at a BMI will subject you to a higher rate of complicaitons including pulmonary, clotting, poor wound healing, infections, etc.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005