Am I Able To Have Breast Implant Revision Through The Armpit?

I have 400cc saline implants in both breasts. I am unhappy with the shape of my right breast and also wish to go bigger using a silicone implant this time. Can the surgery still be done through the armpit and what is the added cost to remove the old set and put new ones in.

Breast Revision

+1

We are not a big fan of armpit surgery and prefer the inframmary crease or periareolar approach.  The visibility is not as good with the armpit approach but there are many who do like this approach.  If you are determined to have the armpit incision, see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who does this procedure.  Plan on spending about 6-8K depending on what is done.  Also, it is difficult to get a silicone implant through an armpit, unless it is small.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Armpit incision and revisions.

+1

The armpit incision can make pocket adjustments much more difficult, particularly if tightening of the pocket is necessary. However, releasing the capsule or exchanging implants can certainly be performed. Larger implants, particularly silicone can be difficult and may require lengthening the incision, but they can be placed via this route. If the issues you have with shape are related to skin or soft tissue and not the implant or capsule, then you will likely need an external incision on the breast to correct the shape issue.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast revision through the armpit

+1

This is a fairly common approach and has several advantages over inframmary or periareolar approaches. 

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Revising breast augmentation through an armpit approach

+1

Although it's not fair to say it's impossible to revise a breast augmentation through an armpit incision, the reason it's best to do this procedure through an inframammary crease incision the first time around is that experience has shown it's simpler, the control over the results is better, the risks and possible problems are less, and it's easier to do a revision or replacement through the same approach if this is needed later. The incision for this only needs to be 2 cm for all saline-filled and 3 1/2 cm for most silicone gel implants. Replacements and revisions through an inframammary crease incision is relatively simple and reliable and I would recommend it even if the original incisional scar is in the armpit. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Revisionary Breast Surgery

+1

You will find many different answers depending on who your ask.  Cost will vary depending on many factors.... first of all it differs depending on if a board certified plastic surgeon is performing the surgery or not.  Also, if the surgery is performed in a hospital based operating room vs. an office setting, if a board certified anesthesiologist is involved vs. a nurse (or sometimes performing procedures under local anesthesia), etc. 

Please be careful when doing your research to make sure your surgeon is properly trained and has experience in this procedure.  Without examining you, it is impossible to say if you can have the surgery performed through the armpit or not.

Ask to see examples of the surgeon's work and talk to other patients who have undergone this same procedure to hear what they have to say.

Good Luck!

Armpit revision?

+1

It's not a problem to remove your saline implants through your armpits...but it is a problem to insert silicone implants through this approach- especially large implants.  It also depends on what needs to be done in your case other than simply changing the implants...this may prevent the armpit incision all together.  Photos would be helpful to advise you further.  Good luck!

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

You can have your implant revision through the armpit

+1

Absoutely! I do this all the time and here are the things you can do through the underarm: Place implants,Change implants, Add fluid to saline implants, Capsulotomy for hardening, Move implants in any direction (usually not up very well!), and Switch from saline to silicone. Using a Keller sleeve you can get comfortably up to a 550cc gel implant in through the underarm (although my personal best is 600cc!). It really helps though for your surgeon to be very comfortable with the endoscope.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Revisions of breast implants through the armpit

+1

Most implant exchanges and revision can still be done thought the armpit incision but not all.   Depending on how much work needs to be done on the lower breast fold will decide whether another incision is needed.  It is very important to find a surgeon who is experienced and comfortable performing endoscopic breast implants through the underarm area.  

Revision tend to cost more than the initial surgery because of the added difficulty that is involved.  

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Secondary breast surgery usually can't be done through the armpit

+1

Since you posted no photos, I can't say for sure but it is rare to be able to do secondary armpit revisions especially if shape is an issue as this may need lifting.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast revision possible through an underarm incision

+1

Changing an implant, reshaping the pocket, releasing the capsule, are all possible through the underarm incision. What we find difficult is closing the capsule for implants that have bottomed out, but again with effort it can be done. Your cost will vary by your location.

peterejohnsonmd