Does 400cc Saline Implant Vary from Person to Person? (photo)

I am getting my breasts augmented tomorrow. I am 20 years old, 5'1, weigh 106 pounds, and my size cup is 32A. I want to achieve a natural look, B, not a C cup. My doctor said he would use a 400cc saline implant. However, after doing my research, i have noticed that 400cc tends to create a C and sometimes D cup. Does this vary from person to person? Or should I ask my doctor for a smaller implant. Please help, i'm desperate :(

Breast augmentation

+1
350 cc implants are much larger than you are desiring

In breast augmentation I have chosen to spend time reviewing photographs with patients to fully understand their expectation of size and shape. Many times this simply raises more questions. I will make measurements and use the implant guides to allow the patient to understand exactly the sizes that are reasonable for their body type and measurements.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Implant for B-cup

+1
If you want a B-cup, you shouldn't go larger than 250cc.  A 400cc implant will likely make you a D-cup.  Communicate your desires clearly to your surgeon and hold those implants in your hands to make sure you choose correctly. Good luck.

David Stoker, MD

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

How will 400cc saline implants look on me

+1

Everyone's body is different so yes, a 400cc implant will look different from one person to the next.  It depends on many factors such as weight, chest width, etc, but most importantly on how much of your own breast tissue you start off with.  Make sure you try on implants again and again and discuss your concerns with your surgeon so there is a mutual understanding of your expectations.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

400 cc Implants Look Different on Different People

+1

Thank you for your picture. The 400 cc implants will vary from person-to-person based on their height, weight, chest width and breast tissue or lack there of. I will revisit this with your plastic surgeon to make sure that you are incomplete understanding of him/her and he/she is in complete understanding of your expectations.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Your surgery is over and I hope you got what you desired...

+1

but a 400 cc implant is way to big for a B cup.  I never quite understand why there are so many surgeons that tell their patients what they are going to get instead of involving them in the decision process employing sizers to help patients SEE what they will get.  I hope it still works out for you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Does 400cc Saline Implant Vary from Person to Person?

+1

A little late to be questioning the cc size!!! Of course the 400 cc looks different on each individual! It relates to the amount of present breast gland/fat. Best to either fully understand this or cancel your surgery until you are fully informed. 

Implant Size versus Cup Size

+1

You are correct that the same implant can look different in different people. In general for a person your size, an implant that size will probably take you to at least a C-cup or more. If you are unsure of your surgeon's recommendations, seek a second opinion.

Donald Griffin, MD

Is a 400 cc implant the same for everyone? No!

+1

A 400 cc implant can be low moderate or high profile. The high profile will be narrow and projecting, the low profile will be wide and flat. So first be sure that you know what style implant you are getting. Cup size varies from person to person and from bra to bra. It is also affected by how much tissue your starting with.  I always recommend that my own patients try on implant sizers to see if they like the volume on their own frame. It sounds to me like this would be a good exercise for you.  Discuss it with your plastic surgeon.  You may also wish to discuss a silicone implant.  While there are pros and cons to each implant to a silicone implant generally tends to look more natural. When in doubt, delay your surgery.  You don't want to go through this without being comfortable with the size that you are choosing. I hope this helps.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Does 400cc Saline Breast Implant Vary from Person to Person?

+1

Yes,  the use of a 400 cc breast implant will achieve a different result from one patient to another. As you know, every patient starts out with a different volume of breast tissue and has a different shape chest wall. Furthermore, other anatomic features such as patient height and body proportions differ.

Also, as you know bra cup sizes will vary from one bra manufacturers to another; therefore, it is not useful to discuss goals or base satisfaction with the outcome of surgery on achieving a specific cup size.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as   “natural”  or “C or D cup”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.