400cc Saline High Mod Profile Be Too Big?

hi, i am 5'3 118-120 lbs, athletic. will a 400cc saline high mod profile be to big for me. i picked 350cc but everyone keeps telling me to do at least 400cc. i want a full d.

Choosing the right implant profile/size

+1

Rather than focusing on the type of implant profile or the number of cc's or bra cup size (with is manufacturer dependant), I would recommend you communicate very clearly your expectations and desires. Your plastic surgeon will decide with you on the profile of the implant based on the breast width, your body shape, skin elasticity and thickness and native breast tissue present. Based on the limited information you have given your results are achievable. In my practice I usually explain the implant types, profile and rationale for using different implants/ profiles. I also use the a special sizing system pre-op and have patients try them inside a bra so they can get a sense of their look. I never tell them what size I have picked until they show me the "look" they REALLY desire by trying on the sizing sytem in our office. Then we sit down and evaluate "the look" they have chosen and see if it matches what I have chosen by measurements and physical exam.  It does make it both fun and is a healthier partnership between patients and the PS.  Speak with your plastic surgeon. Good luck on your surgery!

Best Implant is the Smallest

+1

Unfortunately, you have not told us your cup and bra size.  If you are size 32 or 34 each 100 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  If you are size 36 or 38 each 200 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  If you want to be a D then you can compute what size implant you need to achieve your desired goal.  The best position for implants is retro-pectoral.  In this position, the muscle compresses the implant and the profile of the implant does not determine the projection.  It may be that 400 cc is too big for you to accommodate.  If too large of an implant is placed it descends inferiorly and laterally and you will need a revision.  Unfortunately, you have not provided any photographs.  Remember the goal of breast surgery is to achieve beautiful breasts.  Beauty is determined by several factors including symmetry, skin tone, position of the breast on the chest wall, cleavage, areola size and least of all volume.  It is possible to place an implant through a circumareola approach, lift your breasts higher, increase your cleavage and reshape your breasts.  This will allow you to use a smaller implant to achieve your desired goal.  Remember 400 cc implants weigh approximately 1 lb and will descend in time.  The larger the implant the sooner and further it will descend.  The best implant is the smallest implant.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Consultation Required

+1

Tbaby,

You have not provided us with your current breast size.  That information, along with measurements obtained by your plastic surgeon and sizing performed with model implants +/- bras is critical to answering your question.  I recommend a consultation with an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified plastic surgeon in your area.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

400 cc saline high profile implants

+1

I would recommend against two things. One is to use external sizers as a reasonable way to judge implant size and results. The other is starting from the number of cc's of the implant and working backwards. 

If you were being fitted for a dress you wouldn't start with the size and work backwards. Orthopedic surgeons don't start with a choice of hip implant and make it fit the patient. I'm rather amazed by the number of plastic surgeons who give patients the impression they can choose an implant by number of cc's and make it work and get a controlled result. 

In my opinion and experience, the way to decide on breast implants for subpectoral placement, is to make sure the diameter of the implant matches the internal width of the breast by measuring the external width (upright, with arms down) and subtract about 1 cm. For round implants, this also determines the height of the implant. 

The patient then chooses the forward profile of implant for that width ranging from low to high (not called that) in gel-filled implants and low, medium, moderate plus, high for saline-filled implants. Unless the breast is unusually wide or narrow for the chest circumference (which also throws off bra fitting), the lowest profile implant has enough volume to make the breast look about one cup size larger and the high profile about two cup sizes bigger with the medium in between.

There is no simple or reliable measure for breast size so a visual assessment is made to compare the patient's breast size to other women with the same chest circumference. The patient then chooses what size she would like to look like after the procedure and if it's between one and two cup sizes from where she's starting, the profile choice will achieve that. Then the number of cc's is determined by looking up the appropriate width implant in the chosen profile and find out what it is. The rest is mainly getting the implant surgically placed properly and healed there. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizing

+1
The best place and way to size implants is in your plastic surgeon's office. Try sizers. There needs to be a balance between the size and the profile of the implant so, perhaps, if you go with the 400 cc implant, you might consider the moderate profile. Another key consideration is whether the implant will be placed above or below the muscle. Judge the shape and appearance, not an artificial cup size!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

+1

This question might be hard to answer during an in person consultation, and is impossible to answer on line with no photos or measurements. 

Most surgeons will choose an implant that is not wider than a patient's own breast tissue--sometimes that will limit the implant size to something smaller than a patient may wish for, but the tradeoff will be for a smaller but attractive looking breast vs. a larger and unusual looking breast. 

There are no fixed definitions of breast size. I have patients who have B's C's and D's at home that all fit!

Trying on implants is more likely to help you choose a size you like than arbitrarily picking a letter size. You, your surgeon, and a bra manufacturers may have very differing ideas on what a full D is.

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.
Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Implant size selection

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning

2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Implant sizing

+1

Despite your description, the best way to answer your question is to try on different implants in your surgeon's office.  I recommend bringing a large bra and tight t-shirt to your consult.  At your surgeon's office, place different sized implants into the bra under the t-shirt.  This will give you a very good idea of what the final implants will be like in terms of size.  If the implant will be going under the muscle, expect to lose about 30cc of noticeable size.

Make sure you are seeing a board certified plastic surgeon.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Breast implant size

+1

Whether or not 400cc is too large depends on your frame, your chest size, and the size of your breasts now, to name a few.

Without pictures or an examination, it would be difficult to say for certain whether those implants would be a wise choice for you.

The most important things are that you trust your surgeon, are informed about the surgery, know what to expect afterwards, and that you understand the long-term consequences of implant selection.

PS: I'm not a big fan of saline implants, but we all have our biases.

Good luck, and hope this helps,

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

Choosing an Implant Size

+1

With regard to implant choices to enlarge your breasts, there are a number of things to consider. Your chest circumference and breast width are very important factors when choosing an implant.

The best thing to do is to try on some sizers in a non-padded bra at your plastic surgeon's office to figure out what YOU think looks good. Don't get hung up on cup size or even implant size. And, don't let your friends tell you what size to choose. It's your body, not theirs! After you've made your decision, ask your surgeon if he or she thinks the implant you've picked would safely fit within your body's measurements. In general, an implant should be selected with a diameter that fits within your breast width. An implant that is too large for your frame can be fraught with potential complications.

Thank you for your question and best of luck with your surgery!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Gregory Park, MD