Going with 400cc High Profile Silicone, Is This Too Large For My Frame?

At my initial consult I was set on saline & wanting to achieve a small C cup. My PS suggested mod+ with 330 cc's. Then at my pre op I went with silicone and decided to increase my size a bit. My PS now had me at 400cc's HP. My bwd is 12.5cm, 31in ribcage, and 36A. I'm scared that the projection will be too much with the profile and that my breasts will be too far apart. Also the size seems large. I'm 5'5 115lbs and would rather be a full C. Would the 400HP be more in the D range?

Implant Selection

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Breast implant sizing

+1

t is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

How many cc for Breast Augmentation

+1

Saline implants do appear larger than silicone gel breast implants. The breast implant width for moderate plus profile saline implants roughly match the width of high profile silicone gel breast implants. You should consult with your plastic surgeon and ask him to show you pictures of patients with similar size breast implants to determine if that look is right for you. 

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Implant size Too Big?

+1

Bra sizes are confusing. More often than not, a woman is not wearing a correctly fitted bra, doesn't know her bra size, or doesn't know how a bra is fitted.

Cup size is dependent on the "number" part of the bra size... a D cup in a 34 bra is a different size from a 42 bra.

That being said, bra manufacturers are not held to any uniform standards when it comes to cup size and shape... that is why one brand of bra might fit you very well for a given size, but not another brand. Or, you wear a 34D in a Victoria's Secret bra, and a 34C in another brand, for example.

When discussing breast size after augmentation, outward projection can be further determined by the "profile" of the implant. High school geometry: Height (projection) times Width (base width). A Higher Profile implant will give you a larger cup size for less volume than a Moderate Profile implant.

Furthermore, a saline implant looks bigger than a silicone implant of the same volume. That is because a saline implant is more oval (round on both top and base), while a silicone implant is flat on the base.

Some plastic surgery books have proposed the following parameters for breast augmentation:

• 32 bra: 100-200 ml per cup size
  • 34 bra: 150-250 ml per cup size
  • 36 bra: 200-300 ml per cup size
  • 38 bra: 250-350 ml per cup size 

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

400 cc too much

+1

Based on your info 400 may be too big.I think it is important to understand that C or D cup can vary from one bra manufacturer to another.But 400 would probably be closer to D.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants and final size.

+1

Choosing implants for a breast augmentation can seem a bit nebulous. The chioce is made based on your anatomy combined with your goals. Implants greater than 400cc are considered larger implants. Given narrower breast dimensions, the choice for high profile allows for larger implants without compromising the basic breast anatomy. However, if you are concerned about being "too big", you need to have this discussion again with your plastic surgeon. Cup sizes are not standardized in the bra industry and thus are rarely guaranteed by a surgeon. Given the dimensions you provided, these implants are likely to be very full and provide a good degree of upper breast fullness. It is likely that the breasts will have an "augmented" look. If this is not what you are going for, I recommend a discussion with your plastic surgeon before proceeding with surgery to find a more suitable implant for you.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

Too large for your frame is really a matter of personal preference. It sounds like to get the size you want your surgeon has switched you to high profile to fit your rib diameter. If this is the case then it really shouldn't leave a big gap. But this depends on how the pocket is made as well. I would look at your surgeons before and after photos to see if his patients tend to have gaps in general. In my experience the most the common complaint is that patients wish they would have gone bigger not that they feel the implants project too much.

David E. Kim, MD