Will a 400cc High Profile Implant Be Too Big?

I am 5'6" and weigh 106. Doctor told me I have thin skin and not much breast tissue,we would do a high profile, and could do 350 to 400cc. After thinking over this and reading and reading on the subject, I am starting become afraid I am going to be huge. I currently wear a 32B or 34A. I look at some woment and they are huge and other women aren't. I don't care about looking natural as far as "are they fake", but I don't want to look like I have two grapefruits over stretched skin either.

400 cc implant may be ok depending on your body frame

+2

Considering your height and weight it might be possible to place 400cc implants, but it is important to know your body frame to tell you if it is going to be too big for you. Because you have thin skin and not much breast tissue, it is essential that a silicone implants placed under the pectoral muscle be used to prevent rippling. Regardless of the volume it is important that the base of the implant selected not to be wider that the base of your own breasts. A sizer could be used during surgery to make the final decision on the volume and to make symmetrical pocket for the implants.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizing

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

400 cc grapefruits

+1

Dear 'alittleconfused",

Breast implant size can be a perplexing question for anyone.  There are many factors that go into deciding what size you should use. Your height and weight are helpful, however, it would be necessary to see you in person to determine the other parameters to consider:  have you had children or had significant changes in weight, how much loose skiin do you have, what are the shapes of your breasts, are there any congenital anatomical changes in your breast. It is most important to decide who you are and what you want. Have your friends and family had implants and what are they telling you to do. I always tell my patients to get a size that fits their personality best and not always listen to other people.

In any event, you need to be seen in  person  by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to assist you in making a decision as to what is best for you. I hope that this is helpful for you . Jon Sattler, MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Glendora, California.

Jon Sattler, MD
Glendora Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Results

+1

Without seeing pictures or examining you in person, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  Additionally at 400 cc implant in one person may just be a drop in the bucket while in another person they will look huge.  Hopefully you have good communication with your surgeon, so that you both can decide what is the most appropriate implant for you.  In most cases, a moderate profile silicone implant placed under the muscle gives a very nice result.  The size and shape is dependent on your measurements.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Large Implants

+1

it is difficult to say without photos, but for your height and weight , these will give a less than natural look.  The best way to determine is your breast width and matching this to the implant width.  Try the rice test as well.  good luck

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Bigger is better?

+1

This is one of those questions where your physical exam reveals a lot.  You are probably a good candidate for Breast Augmentation surgery.  AS to the size of the implant,  how much "out there" do you want to be?  What are your goals?   Do you trust your surgeon?

Bigger is not necessarity better!

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

400 may be too big for your frame

+1

Although it might be possible to put 400 cc implants in your breasts, considering your height and weight, I think it might be a bit large for you.  I think that 350-360 cc implants would probably look more proportional on you.  However, only a physical examination can tell.  Also, it is a matter of what you want.

James Tang, MD

400 cc breast implants will make you look fake.

+1

How to pick breast implant sizes
Article by George J. Beraka, MD

1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating room inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Choosing arbitrary breast implant sizes can lead toward problematic results

+1

Predictable and aesthetic pleasing results require more planning and experience than simply choosing an arbitrary breast implant size. Selecting an implant that will leave you looking great, both in the short and long term, is dependent upon your cosmetic goals, but more importantly, the amount of breast tissue you have, the width of your breast, the distance from your nipple to the bottom of your breast fold, and how thick your breast skin is, etc. While choosing a high profile implant will allow you a greater implant size and projection, with a less narrow implant, the better approach is to inform your doctor of your goals and then let his experience dictate how large an implant can be placed while preventing complications. Be sure to ask your surgeon about the complications of going too large, i.e. widened scars, asymmetry, thinning of skin, implant exposure, expanding nipples and areolas, etc. 

Jeffrey D. Hoefflin, MD