Will 400 Cc Silicone HP Unders Create a Canyon Effect Between my Breasts? (Photo)

I'm 5'7", 125 lbs. I wear a 32A bra. My surgeon measured me with a BWD just below 12 cm. The Natrelle 400cc silicone HP's match pretty well with my BWD, but going off of my pictures, will they create a gap look between my breasts? I really do not want a gap of more than an inch between them. Will going a bit above my BWD with mod+ create a fuller effect with more cleavage without causing complications? I saw the Natrelle moderate 400 cc's have a width of 12.7. Is that safe? *Pictures attached*

Breast implant "size" and its effects

+1

With no ptosis and a good front view picture along with the measurement of your breast width, much can be determined without an exam. The most important concept is not to think of a breast implant in terms of its volume. It is more like fitting you to a dress or your foot in a shoe. Your breast width upright with your arms down determines how wide the implant can be and if it is round then it also determines the height. The patient can choose the forward volume (profile) in low-med-moderate plus-high for saline and low-med-high (not called that) in silicone gel filled which would increase your bra size by 1, 1 1/2, or 2 cup sizes. With a breast width just below 12 cm you would need an implant that is about 11.2 cm (roughly 3/4 less than the measured width to account for the skin/fat layer). This implant will fit properly behind your breast and if positioned properly will look quite natural. The edge of the implant must fill to the edge of your breast and no further, particuarly on the medial side if you want to avoid the canyon effect you mention. The width of the gap between your breasts cannot be changed with an implant if you want to look natural and avoid problems. The higher the profile (forward volume) the steeper the slope into the cleavage but the gap stays the same. It is possible to cheat the width of the implant to the lateral side but I would not advise this in thin patients with little breast tissue and too much distorts the nipple-areola position relative to the implant volume. 

I don't have the breast implant dimensions with me but for a properly fitting implant, a volume of 400 cc sounds like it would not fit even with a high profie or 12.7 cm implant and you risk unnaturalness and problems similar to trying to cram too big a foot into too small a shoe. Implants that are too big for the space they need to be in also tend to up to end up too high or too low because they don't fit where they belong. I would add that external sizers are not helpful in this regard. The proper size implant and its effect can be determined by measurements before surgery.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

More Cleavage desired

+1

Generally speaking high profile implants are best for women with a narrow chest or close set breasts, neither of which you have.  I would favor an implant with a wider base diameter such as a moderate plus implant for you. The choice of silicone is fine and also agree with placing the implants under the pectoralis muscle.  Ask your PS why he/she has chosen the HP style for you.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implants for better cleavage

+1

HI,

I agree with you.Moderate profile implants might be a better choice for improved cleavage. You naturally have a failry large space between your breasts. This has to do with the width of your sternum and the insertion of your pectoralis muscle. Because of this, if you have sub-muscular implants, you will by  necessity have some divergence of the implants. One of the ways that this can be helped if for some simultaneous fat injection in the medial aspect of  the breast at the time of surgery. This helps to improve cleavage. Another solution is to have sub-glandular augmentation. All these topics need to be carefully discussed with your surgeon prior to the procedure. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Daniel Medalie,MD

Daniel A. Medalie, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants Do Not Always Make Cleavage

+1

Your pictures show that you have fairly widely spaced breasts. It is unrealistic to expect that almost any size breast implant is going to put them within an inch of each over the sternum. Your breasts are simply too far apart for that to occur. The best you can do is to not use a high profile implant and slightly exceed your breast base diameter with a broader-based implant as you have indicated. Expect some canyon effect but hopefully not a deep one.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

How to get the most natural cleavage.

+1

You should consider trying on implants in a bra and stretchy top to determine what size range you feel gives you the appearance you wish--then, allow your surgeon to add 50-100cc to the chosen implant volume to give you that desired "look." Try not to get overly focused on cup letters or implant cc volumes--bringing in photographs of desired breast sizes (nude, standing) will also help your surgeon.

Once volume is established, choose the widest implant profile that "fits" your breast base measurement to give you the narrowest cleavage. This will generally be a moderate profile implant in the size range you are contemplating (400cc adds just over a cup and a half to your present breast volume, as a general guideline), or perhaps a moderate plus. High profile implants tend to have a higher, rounder, more "fake" or Baywatch look. Some women want that, but it is truly NOT a natural look. If you want a more natural look with a relatively narrow cleavage area, determine size, then use the moderate or moderate plus implant that most closely matches your goals. Also, it is wise to recognize that cleavage is more accurately the province of a good push-up bra rather than a surgical choice. But, following the above algorithm will get you the closest to your desired look! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Canyon effect after breast implants

+1

Any time the breast is naturally widely spaced or the breast envelope is very small with a prominent breast bone, there is a very real risk of a space or 'canyon' between the breasts, especially with a high profile breast implant which is rather ball like to begin with. You will have the most natural result with  lower profile implant that more broadly enhances the breast shape.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast Implant position

+1

Looking at your pictures you have slightly wider distance between your breasts now.  The larger the implant, the more it will help fill the inner/medial part of the breasts.  However, you would likely be limited in how close the left and right side may be, ie. cannot be certain that you will be an inch or less. 

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant sizing?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

It will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.