Will 400cc Silcone Implants Be too Large for my Body Size?

Hi,I have saline breast implants now at 270 left breast and 300 right breast.I am getting them redone but am at the stage where I have to decide the size.I have done the rice test and added 100 cc more to what I have and can not really see the difference, but I know there would be. I am 5ft 0in and 120 pounds and rib cage is 33.5 around. Can you tell me if 400cc is to large for me to go with silicone implants.Do silicone lay the same or do they appear smaller after inserted under muscle.

Changing from saline to silicone breast implants

+4

A rule of thumb when changing from saline to silicone breast implants is to increase the size by 100cc.

This is because of the way the implants are made. Saline implants are inserted empty and then filled. When they fill, they take on an oval shape. Silicone implants are inserted filled. They are manufactured in the shape of a half-oval, with a flat base. The flattened base accounts for the increase in volume necessary to match that of a saline implant. 

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant sizing

+2

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Implant Size

+2

In my opinion, silicone implants appear smaller than similarly sized saline implants. In addition, most studies indicate that for a patient to "appreciate" an increase in implant size, 150-200cc needs to be added to the existing implant volume. This of course varies based on patient size and anatomy.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

Increasing the size of the implants may be possible. There are different profiles and the base diameter of your breast will determine what size implatns will fit on you chest. Silicone implants of the same volume do tend to look a little smaller than comperable sline implants. Good luck

David L. Abramson, MD

Picking the "right" implant for you.

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning

2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and we can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Too large of implants

+1

Yes, with your height and weight, 400cc of any implant would be too large and may cause problems in the long run. 

Adil Ceydeli, MD
Panama City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Sizing

+1

Prior to deciding on the right size implant, your surgeon should evaluate the width of your chest wall and the breast tissue and overlying skin envelope.  I believe a high profile gel implant carries similar projection to a moderate plus saline projection.  

In addition to implant size, I would consider going with a higher projection.    Assuming your chest wall width and skin envelope will accept a 400 cc implant, you can expect a cup size increase with this procedure.     However, I would rely on your surgeon's experience to fine tune the final implant size based on your goals and expectations discussed in the preop visit.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, M.D.

Gill Plastic Surgery

Houston Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Paul S. Gill, MD

Changing implants

+1

Without an exam it is hard to say but if you are looking for more volume, you would need to probably add between 150-200 cc'sat least  to see a cup change.

Increasing breast implant sizes - C cup

+1

If you are undergoing primary augmentation and had little breast tissue then a 400cc silicone prosthesis would certainly make you at least a full C. It would be helpful to know with your present implants what the end fill volumes were, since that will have an effect on how much a change the 400cc prosthesis will create. In my experience, silicone prosthesis of equal volume appear somewhat smaller than their saline counterparts. So that if for example, the right 300cc implant had been filled to 330cc or 340cc then a 400cc silicone prosthesis of equal dimensions would increase the size somewhat but not to an overly dramatic level. You also will need to do variable implant sizes to make up for what apparently was a slight asymmetry in your breasts. You should also consider a higher profile prosthesis because of your narrow rib cage.

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

Please be careful about placing too large of an implant.  The price that your tissues will pay in the future may not be worth it.  400 cc for your frame sounds a bit too large, but this is without seeing any photos.

Shahin Javaheri, MD