400 or 450cc's? (photo)

I'm 5'8" and athletic (figure/diva competitor) 150-155 lbs with a 36 b-c. I have been suggested to go for 450cc's gel and sub muscular by the surgeon I chose. Will this result in me being TOO big? Considering the photos below (1 of myself and 3 goal photos), would 400 or 450 be recommended?

400 or 450 cc Which is Better Implant Size?

+1

50 cc is not a huge difference in size.  You would probably be happy with either.  If there is a debate choose the larger size.  Going under the muscle will blunt the implant volume by about 50 cc.

Implant Size Selection

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Implant size

+1

I agree that you should have the implants under the muscle.  The second girl looks like her implants are above the muscle and she is larger than the fourth girl.  Given your measurements and photos, I think you would be happier with the 450 cc implants.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Implants under or over muscle

+1

Hi Meagen,

The examples you provided appear to be epipectoral or submammary implants- they are not under muscle. Placing a 450cc under muscle is going to create a number of problems for you, and use of a modern silicone gel implant will minimize rippling, the main problem with implants over muscle.

Michael Kreidstein, MD

Implant size questions.

+1

Being 5'8" with either 400 or 450 cc implants will give a full look, but I don't think they will appear as large as the addition photos you included. a nice way to tell is to try the volume sizers which is the new sizing system by Mentor. These give a more realistic idea of how the implants will look after surgery and swelling has subsided. Your best option is to discuss your desires inperson with your surgeon and show him/her photos of your goal. Good luck.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and performance

+1

First it is difficult to say what size would be best for you..  As for the photos you posted, I'll wager that they are larger than the ones you chose.

400 or 450cc's?

+1

Posted photos of yourself are not helpful in bikini. Based upon your written statements you most likely need 450 UHP. But you need to be realistic in your expectations. seek MORE IN PERSON consults. 

What size implants?

+1

I would favor the 400's. I think even 350's would be nice. The party line though is to have your chest measured and pick an implant with the right dimensions. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Selecting the correct implant for breast augmentation

+1

Nothing creates more anxiety in breast augmentation than implant selection.  If you follow sound plastic surgical principles you will get a nice result.  In order for you to use a large implant, 400 to 450 cc you may be considering a high profile.  

This will give you a more rounded appearance with nice upper pole fullness.  In the end you want an implant that matches your body proportions and achieves your goals.  We have been using the Vectra 3D imaging system for the last 6 months and our patients have been very happy since they get to see their after result prior to surgery.  

400 or 450 cc

+1

Too big for one person, may be just right for another, or too small for someone else.  You are the only one who can make the decision of what is right for your anatomy.  The volume difference that you are considering is only a "shot glass" and will only give you a little more fullness.  The style of implant (projection and base diameter) would have more influence on your final breast shape.  Discuss this with your surgeon before making a decision. 

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon