40 Year Male Here Thinking About a Facelift. Is It the Right Time? (photo)

Hi would love advice about whether I need to go under and have some work done to my face. I feel as if I'm looking tired all the time and my face is starting to sag. I can also see that my face is not symmetrical. I know that now one has a symmetric face, but want some advice. Thanks for your assistance

Facelift

+4

I feel you are too young for a facelift. The change will not be very significant and would not be worth the cost or the scars involved. Save your money!

Too young for a facelift?

+2

I don't think a facelift would be the right procedure for you at this point. You are still young, and the laxity in the neck is minimal. I think your best option would be neck liposuction which can be performed quite easily and will have little downtime. With young, elastic skin, the result can be very good. A small chin implant could be considered at the same time if you want more jaw definition.

-Dr. Jamil Asaria, FACE Toronto

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mae facelift

+2

A male facelift is more difficult than in a female for the simple fact that an aggressive lift will, in general, feminize the face.  Looking at your pictures I would recommend some liposuction and perhaps some fillers and Botox.  A single procedure is not a magical event.  Sometimes less is more.  You have a lifetime to keep your self looking good.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

40 year old male here thinking about a facelift. Is it the right time?

+2

Hello, in reviewing your photos I do not feel that a facelift is indicated for you at this time. I  advise you to have some submental liposuction as well as sculpting of your jawline at this time. I am certain that you will be very please with your results. It is premature for you to have a facelift, you will not benefit enough from the procedure at this time. It would be best for you to schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon. Good luck to you. 

David Alessi, MD

After 40 begin slowly with conservative surgery after the 55 begin agressive ivasive surgery

+2

i would suggest  to begin with plastma and fat injection and avoiding invasive surgery , perhaps eyebrowns lifting trough upper frontal plication, perhaps some fat excision at chin and some botox at  exteernal palpebral that  would be whole you need

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

When IS the 'Right Time' for a Facelift or Other Procedures?

+2

As any experienced surgeon will tell, there is no real answer to this question. The time to proceed with surgery depends on the individual. Age actually has less of a part in the equation than do genetics, health, weight changes, sun damage throughout life, and your specific goals. Today, in the modern age of Facial Plastic Surgery, there are various Surgical and Non-Surgical procedures available to patients. When I discuss options with patients, we talk about 'Prevention vs. Correction' - both elements apply to everyone, but the emphasis can vary. In some patients that are earlier in the aging process, we may discuss procedures that 'prevent' loosening of the skin from happening as soon is it otherwise might (techniques like Laser Resurfacing, Laser Liposuction, non-invasive Skin Tightening, and others) compared to patients that present to us later in the aging process, when more invasive approaches may be used to 'correct' the noticeable loose skin (as with face and neck lifts).

It is really best to discuss with your Facial Plastic Surgeon, and it is always smart to come have an exam and consult to learn more about your options.

Manu Gujrati, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

40 year old male facelift

+2

Based on your comments and photos, I would urge caution in having a facelift. If you think that your neck is a bit full , perhaps liposuction of the neck might make some difference. A facelift involves incisions around the ears and a shifting of the facial hair. Scars from even a " mini lift" can be detectible in men with short hair and there has to be a positive trade off. If you like the way you look in the mirror when pulling the skin of your cheeks upward and backward , I might think otherwise. You concerns are best addressed by an in person consultation. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Right time for facelift

+2

Thank you for the question and the photos. Generally speaking, there is no right time for facelift. What you need to do is define your concerns and what you want to achieve. You mention"tired look" and the photos do show excess skin in the upper lids. Upper lid blepharoplasty will give a fresher look and more sparkle. There are time changes in your neck and the treatment will depend on examination findings. You couls also benefit from non surgical modalities. 

What you need is a an in person consultation with a plastic surgeon. during the consultation, you need to be very clear about your hopes. Best wishes.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Face lift at 40 ?

+2

Dear Booby,

40 is an early age for face lift, however at times due to life style, sun exposure and genetics surgery might be indicated. In your case, based on your pictures , I will not recommend a face lift. There are other procedures that will make you look younger and uplift your spirit. In that regard my  recommendation to you are  as follows : Upper and lower blepharoplasty ( eye lid tuck ),  liposuction of neck and platysmorrhaphy ( removal of fat from under the neck muscles and tightening of the muscles ) . You might consider also Restylane to the nasolablial folds and Botox to the laugh lines.

Be sure to select a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in facial surgery.

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

What is the Right Time for a Facelift?

+2

Dear bobbyo,

There are many good options, ranging from skin care and non-surgical cosmetic treatments such as Botox, fillers, laser and light treatments, to surgical procedures such as liposuction, neck lift, eye lift, mini facelift, etc., to help rejuvenate an aging or tired looking face.

Selecting the right treatment plan requires careful consideration of your specific concerns, goals, needs, condition, and anatomy. I would be wary of any provider that does not take all of these factors into account.

A facelift is performed to tighten a slackening jawline, sagging neck, and/or sagging cheeks. The typical age range is from the late 30's to 70's. There is no absolute right time or age to get a facelift.  

I would recommend that you see an experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD