Age 40, 4'11", 56DDD - What Size Reduction Would Eliminate Back, Neck and Shoulder Pain?

I Am 40, Overweight and Short (4'11) and 56 DDD(F), What Size Could I Reduce to and Help Eliminate Back, Neck and Shoulder Pain?

Breast Reduction and Relief of Symptoms?

+1

Although easier said then done, it would be in your best interest to achieve a long-term  stable weight prior to proceeding with breast reduction surgery.

You should also have a workup prior to surgery to rule out other sources of your symptoms.

When a breast reduction surgery is decided upon it will be important to communicate your size goals with your plastic surgeon;  you should have as much tissue removed as possible while  retaining proportionality with the remainder of your torso. Keep in mind, that it will  likely not be possible  to “eliminate” your symptoms completely. You should expect improvement however.

Breast Reduction - How Much Tissue Needs to be Removed for Relief of Symptoms?

+1

Hi Happy39 in Atlanta, GA,

You would obviously need to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon in order to be treated appropriately but here's what I'd say:

1) It's better for you to be at or near your ideal body weight before you do this procedure.  Decisions need to be made in terms of keeping your breasts proportional to your body, and that can best be done if you not (too) overweight.

2)  It's also a lot safer to do this surgery when you're not overweight.  Being overweight increases the risks of anesthesia, wound healing, blood clots, etc.

3)  Regardless of what you have done, there is no way to absolutely guarantee that you will have relief of your symptoms.  It's likely, but it can't be guaranteed.

4) That being said, I would think that going down to about a full C would be about the limit of the breast reduction that you should have.  I think it would help, but I wouldn't go smaller than that if possible.

5) Finally, I still believe that your chest size of 56 - ie, that you're overweight - is even more of a factor in your various symptoms than the breasts themselves.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Breast reduction and symptoms

+1

There are a number of things you left out like your actual weight.  Obviously being over weight probably contributes to yoru symptoms.  But in many cases large breasts can contribute as well, but there is no guarantee that a breast reduction will eleiminate your symptoms.

What size reduction should I do?

+1

It's not known how much weight needs to be removed from your breasts to make your symptoms better but most patients feel better after breast reduction surgery right away!  You should pick a size that looks nice with your body and makes it easier for you to find bras and clothes that fit.  This will most likely resolve your symptoms, give you a great lift and restore confidence in how you feel in clothes and bathing suits.

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction and back pain

+1

Women often seek breast reductions for neck, back and shoulder pain that is not relieved by meds or physical therapy.  While breast reductions can often improve these symptoms, the amount of relief you get is totally dependent on how much your large breast are contributing to the problem.  For example, if you back pain is due to a pinched nerve or arthritis in the spine then the pain may not necessarily change.  You should seek the advise of a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss the procedure.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon