4 Weeks Post-op & Ultrasound Showed 10cm of Fluid or Scar Tissue Under Incision?

I am 4 weeks post-op full TT with lipo. One week after surgery was drained approx 600 cc's of fluid from seroma..a few days later was drained about half the amount. An ultrasound later showed 10cm of fluid under the incision line. My ps only found about 5cc's of fluid. Could it be scar tissue, a pseudo-bursa that's formed or just swelling? I do have a slight bulge above the incision line. Would ultrasound therapy help to break up any scar tissue?

+2

We do occasionally see fluid collections, or seromas, after abdominoplasty surgery.

Your surgeon has done all the right things by draining the fluid until there is very little left.

It is difficult to interpret your ultrasound without seeing the full report. Althought the fluid was reported to extend over 10cm the collection may be only a few millimeters thick, so that there is in fact very little fluid left.

I am not aware that there is any real evidence that ultrasound would help the bulge. Surgeons may order this to give the patient something to do while nature takes care of the problem.

Keep in close touch with your surgeon.

Good luck!

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Post tummy tuck fluid collection

+1

Seroma formation following a tummy tuck is not uncommon, and from your discription it sounds as if your surgeon did the appropriate treatment in draining the seroma.  At just 4 weeks post surgery, it is still quite early and there are a number of options your surgeon may want to consider, including aspiration, incision and drainage, possible resection of the tissue if a pseudo-bursa has formed and/or placement of a closed suction drain.  Check with your surgeon for their recommendation.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Pseudobursa?

+1

Four weeks after a tummy tuck and liposuction and you have that much fluid being aspirated, sounds like a pseudobursa is developing. It may eventually need to be excised.  Follow closely with your surgeon.

Pseudobursa

+1
Hello, Thank you for your question. Prolonged presence of seroma fluid does predispose you to formation of a pseudobursa. At this time it is difficult to know whether it has formed or it will form. The continue presence of fluid may warrant placement of a drain. Depending on what is causing the fluid buildup you may need exploration or revision down the road. At this time however, I would consider a drain or repeated aspirations and deligent use of the abdominal binder. All the best, Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Seroma and Tummy Tuck

+1

It seems that you do have a persistent seroma.  Ultrasound will be helpful to guide drainage of the seroma and retaining the drain.  The drain should be placed!!  If the seroma is still persistent after drainage tube then medications can be injected to scar down the seroma cavity.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS