3 Wks Post Op from Abdominoplasty Red, Burning, Irritation from Steristips? Do I Leave Them Off? Or Put Them Back On? (photo)

Should I get a lotion/cream or medication for the irritation? Shpuld I put the steristips back on? Or leave off. The surgical bra and annd compression garment irritated my skin too so I wore a t-shirt under them.

Irritation from steri strips after tummy tuck

+1

The adhesive in steri strips can give you an allergic reaction.  I would let your doctor know what you are experiencing and confirm that they are okay with you taking them off.  

3 weeks Post-Op from TT

+1

Thanks for submitting a photo with your question.  It looks like you could be having a reaction to the steri-strips so I wouldn't recommend putting them back on without seeing your surgeon first.  He will give you the best assessment when he can examine your incision and let you know what treatment to start, if any.  I wouldn't recommend starting any lotions or creams without seeing your surgeon first as some could cause more irritation and complications.  Wearing a t-shirt under your compression garment can also help.  Best of luck!

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS
Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty

+1

Although the redness may be due to something else, it could be a reaction to the steri strip adhesive. There is no reason to replace them, so I would leave them off, but you should call your surgeon to see what he/she thinks.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Reaction to adhesive and possibly latex

+1

It's quite possible you are sensitive to the adhesive in the steristrips but you may also be sensitive - not necessarily allergic - to the latex in the bra and garment.  These type of questions as to the post-op care really should be handled by your doctor who has his own treatment protocols for these minor problems.  Good luck and enjoy your new found figure.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Reaction to steri-strips

+1

The best thing for you to do would be contact your surgeon who can advise you on what is best to do. I would not recommend putting steri-strips (or anything else) on before you see him or her. And a number of my patients have found that a t shirt really helps make them more comfortable post-operatively, too. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Steristrip Reaction after Tummy Tuck

+1

Steristrips can cause an allergic reaction in some people, and the steristrips should not be replaced.  If the reaction is mild, no treatment is necessary.  I usually recommend placing an undershirt underneath the garment.

Irritation from Steristips?

+1

This looks like a reaction to the adhesive in the Steri-strips. Your questions about post op care are best addressed to your surgeon. I would not suggest replacing the steri-strips, as more reaction is likely. Wearing a cotton T shirt under the garments was a good solution to that problem.  Thanks and best wishes.