Is It Risky To Have a 3rd Ptosis Surgery?

I had a levator and mullerectomy surgery, with most recent being 9 months ago and still about 1.5 - 2mm off on the on eye. I know its tough to get it exact, but is it worth / safe to have another mullerectomy to fix this? Thanks

Re-Do Eyelid Ptosis Surgery

+1

If you had two previous levator surgeries and most recently it has been under a year, I would not recommend doing any operative intervention. One should see a specialist who performs eyelid ptosis surgery before proceeding.

+1

The best thing for you to do, as others have mentioned, is to see an Oculoplastic surgeon.  Depending on what was done previously and your current examination, your question can be answered better.  There are probably more risks than on your first surgery, however, you have to weigh the risk benefit ratio to decide if it is worth further surgery.  You should bring all your previous operative reports to your consultation so the surgeon knows exactly what was done before.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Revision ptosis surgery

+1

The reality is that it may be very difficult to reach "perfection."  The worst thing that could happen is you become over resected and scarred and subsequently needing a reconstruction to allow you to shut your eye properly.  If you haven't performed the external approach yet then it may be worth trying.  However, get several consults with an oculoplastic surgeon before proceeding.  Ensure you actually have proper levator function.  There may be a physical or medical issue that hasn't been diagnosed as yet causing this limitation in your surgery.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is certainly possible.

+1

However the planes used to perform the surgery become scared so that the likelihood of surgical success is even lower on a third reconstructive procedures.  Ultimately much depends on the precise reality of your clinical situation.  If you are contemplating a third ptosis repair, I urge you so get several opinions from fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeons.

Risk of repeat ptosis surgery

+1

With every surgery in the same area, the risk does increase but only you can decide whether this is worth pursuing.  I would recommend that you consider this surgery only with an oculoplastic specialist with extensive experience in revisional surgery.  Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD