39 Yr Old Woman - Do I Have Jowls? Fat? What Procedure Do I Require?

Hello, I'd appreciate an evaluation of my facial issue. Are those jowls or fat that I have? Do I require liposuction or a mini-lift? Anything else that you could recomment would also be appreciated. Thank you and best regards! M

Treatment of jowls- facelift vs. liposuction

+2

Patients with jowls are usually better off having a facelift and necklift rather than liposuction alone.

Liposuction alone can leave the face blocky appearing.  Modern facelifts can elevate the deep tissue to create an appealing face.

Patients think facelifts are only for patients who are old.  This is no longer the case.  Now that modern incision techniques enable better concealment of incisions, it is possible to do facelifting procedures in younger patients.

As with so many plastic surgery procedures, results are highly dependent on the surgeon performing the procedure.

Options for prominent jowls in a 39 year old.

+2

Liposuction alone is not generally a good option for jowls and I would advise proceeding with both a lower face lift and micro-cannula liposuction of the jowls as a combined procedure with consideration of lipoinjection or fillers to the pre-jowl sulcus (marionette lines). In some instances, conservative resection of buccal fat could be an adjunctive procedure.

What Facial Procedure Would Make me Look Better?

+2

Regarding: "39 Yr Old Woman - Do I Have Jowls? Fat? What Procedure Do I Require?
Hello, I'd appreciate an evaluation of my facial issue. Are those jowls or fat that I have? Do I require liposuction or a mini-lift? Anything else that you could recomment would also be appreciated. Thank you and best regards
! "

Liposuction would deflate fat and cause skin excess and even irregularities. The BEST option bar none would be a Short Scar Facelift such as the MACS Facelift. It would reposition the sagging cheeks in their original position while flattening the nose to mouth lines AND give tour face the youthful tapered look rather than the ovoid or square look.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Treatment for jowls

+2

These are jowls and are more severe on the left than the right. You can see the depth of the marionette line coming down from the corner of the mouth especially on the left and the concave area to the side of the chin again more so on the left that are hallmarks of jowls. A lot of different treatments are proposed for this ranging from liposuction to thermage but in my opinion the gold standard is a facelift type of procedure. Since the aging changes to the neck are minimal this could be a mini-facelift but because you need adustments below the corner of the mouth the skin incision will have to be in front of, under and behind the ears. A small amount of excess skin would be removed via this incision but the most important part of the surgery is too tighten or lift the tissues deep to the skin. That involves procedures on the SMAS layer and there are probably as many ways to do this as there are surgeons.

Aaron Stone, MD

Jowls of face

+2

It does look like you have some early jowling to the face. This is usually best treated with a lower facelift but can be sometimes camouflaged with facial filler.

Procedure for Jowls

+2

I agree with the previous posts on this topic. Your findings are definitely consistent with jowls and the best way to address this issue is with a form of "mini"lift, or cheek lift.  In my hands, the term "mini" lift is used to describe the cheek and jowl portion of a Facelift, without specifically addressing the neck. However, this lift involves a SMAS imbrication, which provides a better, longer lasting result than skin only, or SMAS plication (folding over of the SMAS) procedures. However, my mini lift procedure is more involved than heavily marketed "magic lifts", which advertise wonderful results.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek lift

+2

Yes, those are jowls and are descended cheek fat settling along the jawline.  Since your neck looks fine, I'd suggest a cheek lift which is the cheek part of a facelift.  Not a mini lift either as this will leave you unhappy.  You have many great plastic surgeons in Atlanta!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Treatment for Jowls

+1

What you are identifying in your photo are indeed jowls.  Jowls are essentially soft tissue that has sagged over time and includes some fat.  Limited liposuction would help but would not solve the entire problem.  I suspect that you are a better candidate for a full face-lift rather than a mini-lift as although your eyes are not in the picture, I would think that you have some mid-face issues that should be addressed at the same time.  As an alternative to surgery, you might consider Ultherapy.  Our experience is that it will improve the appearance of jowling, but not completely resolve the problem.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon