39 YO & 4 Months Post Pregnancy: How do I Differentiate Between Fat And/or Loose Skin on Tummy?

I gained 65 lbs. with my 1st son 2 yr.9 mos. ago (C section) & lost it in 3 mos. w/out exercise and had a small amount of loose skin (I think) on tummy. I had my 2nd son 4 mos. ago and gained 53 lbs. which I have lost give or take a few lbs., however my tummy area is still mushy and wrinkly at times. I am tracking my daily caloric intake and do not exceed 1500 calories per day. Is it normal for skin to appear wrinkly as weight is lost? stubborn fat and loose skin?

Postpregnancy abdomen

+1

You have absolutely zero extra fat.  The distance between your skin and the muscle is exceedingly thin.  It would be wise to increase the calories you are taking in as you could afford to gain a few pounds and you would actually look better.  The problem you have is slightly loose skin after 2 pregnancies.  Very common indeed.  You don't have enough for a tummy tuck and Thermage etc won't give you a super result so save your money there.  So the only thing you can do is to plump up the skin with a pound or two, and see if that doesn't fill it out.  Losing more weight is not the answer, nor is surgery.  These are all just suggestions not having examined you so they do not constitute medical advice.

Excess skin vs. fat

+1

From your posted photos it is clear that you have little or no extra fat. If you look closely at the first photo on the left you will see an extra fold of skin right above the belly and a few smaller folds above that. That is a sign of excess skin above the level of the belly button. Below the belly button there is little excess skin or fat.

If you really want to be able to discern the relative amounts of these components on your own you will have to go to medical school and then do a plastic surgery residency.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Loose abdominal skin

+1

Yes, loose skin after weight loss is common and the only effective treatment is surgical excision such as tummy tuck / abdominoplasty.  You do not look like you have much fat, so liposuction would not make a difference.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Looks like a tummy tuck will do

+1

Looks like you have a lot of extra skin and stretched out muscles post pregnancy. A well performed full tummy tuck will give you the best result.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD