Bruised Penis After Abdominal Liposuction

i'm a 39 year old male that just had abdominal liposuction. I had my love handles, abs and lower abdominal section worked on. It has been 2 days after the surgery and the area of the base of my penis and about the lower 25% of my penis and been badly bruised. Should I be alarmed and what kind of treatment should I be using ? - Any helpful information would be deeply appreciated !

Bruising on Penis after Liposuction?

+2

It is always best to be examined (and usually reassured) by your operating surgeon.

Having said, that significant swelling  and bruising of the scrotum and/or penis  is commonly seen after liposuction of the abdomen.

I was suggest “scrotal elevation”/rest/time.

Bruising runs downhill after liposuction

+2

Don't be alarmed, what you have is normal. Bruising from liposuction runs downhill with gravity along the path of least resistance which is along natural tissue planes. When liposuction is done on the outer thighs, bruising typically runs down close to the knees and, in patients who bruise a lot, it can go all the way down to the feet and ankles.  This means that when liposuction is done on the abdomen, much of the blood will migrate into the groin and cause both swelling and bruising. There is not much that you can do about it but it usually will resolve in a week to ten days. Your surgeon really should have warned you about this as it is very common after abdominal liposuction.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - Bruising of the Penis Following Abdominal Liposuction: Cause For Concern?

+2

HI joseph,

It's completely normal and to be expected.  The bruising and swelling of lipo, which can be dramatic, typically moves "down" with gravity in addition to being absorbed by the body.  So, in general, bruising and swelling of any areas inferior to (below) the regions that were actually worked on - is to be expected.

For a man, that includes the penis and scrotum, and that process can be startling...to put it mildly.  You should, of course, stay in touch with your own surgeon concerning this and any other post-surgical issues, but is should resolve on its own over the next few weeks (it can easily take that long).  Similar bruising of the genitalia is seen in women.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Bruising after liposuction

+1

Application of Bruisestick ointment can help resolve some bruising after surgery. This may take a few days to see improvement of deeper bruising. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Bruising patttern after male liposuction

+1

For men fat tends to be stored in the intra-abdominal compartment. This is visceral fat and can not be liposuctioned. This visceral fat can only be lost by diet and exercise.   The risks for men are the same as for women.  The most common area men request liposuction is the lower abdomen and love handle areas.  There is a very loose tissue plane between the abdomen and penis and blood seeks the lowest possible point so bruising of the penis and scrotum is not unusual and is generally not painful.  It will resolve in a few weeks. 

+1

Bruising of the genitals is common after extensive liposuction of the abdomen. With these areas being dependent and having some of the thinnest skin in the body they will reflect gravitational settling of the bruising from procedures done above them. In itself, such bruising is common and nothing to worry about. It will improve.

Dr. Peter a Aldea

Bruised penis/scrotum or vulva/vagina/labia after liposuction of abdomen

+1

Do not be alarmed bruising from liposuction of the abomen commonly spreads down the the mons pubis, penis/scrotum or vulva and past this to the thighs

Bruising of genitalia after liposuction

+1
Bruising of genitalia is the rule rather than the exception after lower abdominal liposuction. Don't be alarmed. It will be gone in a few weeks. There can be a lot of swelling too. See your surgeon for reassurance.

Ronald Shelton, MD