I'm a 38 Year Old Lady That Just Had a Gastric Bypass. In a Year or So I Will Need a Body. Help?

I'm a widow with three kids. My ins will not pay for a body lift. I live near knoxville Tn. Does anyone know of a program close that has a free or low cost surgery (body lift). Will try some travel but, still needs to be pretty close. Doing all of this to be able to keep up with kids. They are my little drill sargents. I started out at almost 400 lbs and weighed in yesterday at 240 lbs. However i'm stuck in a place where i have to ask for help. Have some time just 3 wk out of bypass. Please help

Weight Loss Cosmetic Surgery

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss! Keep up the good work! Before considering any body contouring cosmetic surgery, you want to be at a stable weight for about 1 year after your bypass. As far as any medical programs that offer free or reduced surgery, I don't know of any. You can check with some surgical hospitals to see if they offer discounted prices for doctors who are in surgical training. Something else you may want to consider is medical financing. The majority of plastic surgeons offer it and this may be a good way to go about paying for your surgery.  

Cosmetic surgery at local university

+1

You may want to look at your local university to see if they have a plastic surgery training program.  Their prices are typically significantly lower than private practice doctors.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Low cost program for body lift

+1

Thank you for the question. Unfortunately there is no free program for body lift. The best way to approach your surgery is not from a cost perspective but  from quality and having it done with a qualified surgeon. Low cost may put in  a situation were inexperienced surgeon performing your surgery that may place you in a risky situation. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Saving up for surgery

+1

Awesome job on losing the weight!  Keep up the good work and get down to your ideal weight.  Now is not the time to slack off.  Getting low cost surgery for your needs is ill-advised.   Your condition will need multiply procedures to give you the fabulous look that you desire.  Pick a surgeon who can do the procedures in one safe operation.  Saving money by using a cheap or non board certified plastic surgeon is a recipe for potential disaster. Remember you will have some down time.  You must plan for this in your budget.  Start saving now and by the time you have hit your ideal weight hopefully you will have the funds to make it a reality.

Good luck and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD FACS

Anire Okpaku, MD FACS

Body lift

+1

Body contouring after weight loss can mean a fairly involved surgery. A lower body lift is something I choose to perform at a hospital with an overnight stay. There are no free or low cost programs out there to my knowledge. Operating room and anesthesia alone can cost around 5000-6000.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Body Contouring Surgery after Weight Loss?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss thus far and having undergone the gastric bypass procedure. It sounds like you are very determined to reach a long-term healthy weight and lifestyle.

You are correct in that once you have reached your long-term healthy weight, that significant redundant skin/articles issue/abdominal wall laxity will likely be present and benefit from body contouring procedures.

It will be up to you to do your due diligence in the process of plastic surgeon selection. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

You will find,  while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

I would suggest that you start your “body contouring account” and gradually save for the procedures that may be helpful. I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery;  keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.