Is 375CC Too Big for my Body?

Hello, I went to my first consultation for a breast augmentation. I am 5'1 105 pounds and a small A cup.

I have had one child so my breasts have that deflated look with no volume on top. I want silicone implants and want to be a C cup. My surgeon recommended Mentor HP implants due to my chest size and such.

I stated that I wanted my breasts to still look natural and fit my frame so he recommended 375cc or 400cc implant size. Will that size be too large and make me more of a D cup?

375cc - 400cc sounds just fine for a 2 cup size increase.

+3

I believe that about 250cc equals one cup size, so you would be adding almost 2 cup sizes to your present breast volume, which sounds about right. As far as profile, I would measure your breast base, and then use the implants which have a base diameter that will comfortably fit in that dimension. This may well be a high profile implant, but it may also be a moderate plus implant. Beware the surgeon who "always" uses a certain profile. I believe that profile should be based on anatomy, not surgeon preference.

Based on the information provided, this sounds reasonable, but you should always trust the surgeon you choose to do your surgery. If you are not sure, get another one or two consults and further refine your wishes and surgeons' recommendations. Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

+2

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:
1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.
3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.
4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Breast implant size

+2

Natural and proportional is all in the eye of the beholder. You sound very petite. High profile implants in general will look less natural than a mid profile or a low profile implant. But he probably recommended that profile due to the how large you wanted to go. If you have doubts go on another consult but asking for advice on implant size when we can't see you isn't going to help you.

David E. Kim, MD

Sizing breast implants and expected results

+2

I am amazed and rather disappointed by the answers I see here. Sizing breast implants to fit the breast, look natural, and give a predictable result is not that hard and it's very much like fitting your petite size body to a dress or your foot in a shoe except that you can't "try on" a breast implant contrary to what you're hearing. External sizing does not work well for the patient or the surgeon and we don't have a simple way to measure the exact size of the breast before or after the surgery nor what the results of a specific number of cc's volume will have without knowing the dimensions of the implant (and the profile) relative to your breast. Another way to understand this is that if you are an A cup now I bet that a 36-A or 38-A bra would not fit you. Cup size is relative to chest circumference and is not very exact as a measure.

The answer is to measure the width of your breast standing and with arms down, subtract about 3/4 of a cm and you will know what width implant will fit you. If it's a round implant you also know the height of it. If you are an A cup now and want to be a C cup, that's a two cup size increase which requires a high profile implant (Allergan in saline or Mentor or Allergan in gels). The number of cc's volume is determined by looking up the width in a high profile and finding out what the implant is rated at rather than starting from the volume and working backwards. Assuming the implant is positioned properly (and filled properly if saline) and then healed properly, it should give a predictable natural looking result about two cup sizes larger than you started with. It may end up that the volume is 375 to 400 cc but you will know that it will fit and look like a breast if you start from the dimensions and profile choice.

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

375 cc too big?

+1

Without photographs, this is hard to determine in this setting.  I would love to see you photographs.  Having said that, I also think your pre-op breast envelope plays a role in helping determine the correct size of the breasts.  The profile choice of the implant is based on the breast envelope in my opinion.  Good luck with you surgery.  

Dr. V, South Shore Plastic Surgery 

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants, what natural means to you

+1

Any implant can fill your needs, though a high profile 400cc implant is rather large. The high profile implant is the current rage if you believe in fashion. The implant is projecting and rather round, though this too may be the look for you. We hear the word 'natural' very often, yet many do not really mean it and prefer a high projecting breast whether standing or lying down. My bet is the 400cc will be a D-cup. If you do mean natural, better do more homework.

peterejohnson

Breast implants - what size is right

+1

There are both upper and lower limits to choosing the correct implant size for a patient.  these limits are determined by a patient's  frame and original breast size and shape.   Within this limits, I routinely let the patient decide the implant size by having her try the implants on in a bra.  I counsel the patient that this same sized implant will look slightly smaller when it is actually under the breast tissue and therefore suggest a size approximately 10 to15% larger than what she felt was ideal in a bra.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size, Chest Measurements and the Natural Look

+1

The perception of breast cup size and a natural look varies amongst patients so it is not always possible to have a good gauge as to what that means. While you have supplied no pictures or measurements, the base diameter of a 375cc high profile implant sound about right for your small chest size. Whether the breast look created from that size implant will be a C cup or more of a D cup is hard to tell and is open to interpretation. I would recommend you get a sample of that implant as well as a different size and try them on and see what you think. While none of these breast implant sizing methods are infallible, the  more different methods you use the more likely you will not be surprised after surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Breast Implants - How Large Should I Go? I Want to Look Natural...

+1

Hi Lelizabeth08 in Scottsdale, AZ,

Well, the thing about "natural" is that large breast implants, relative to one's frame, rarely look "natural."  They make look great, hot, sexy, etc...but the larger the implants, the less likely they are to look natural.

There are, of course, no absolutes...but, in general, I would say that those implants on your frame would look a little large.  Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, and, of course, there are many people walking around out there with exactly that, and even larger.

I generally suggest going with the SMALLEST implant you think you'd want, rather than the largest.  And that's with the understanding that no matter what size you choose, you'll probably wish at some point that you had gone larger.  That's just seems to be the way it is.

My advice:  go a little smaller.

The final decision is, naturally, between you and your plastic surgeon.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Breast implants

+1

The implants you chose seem larger for your frame and will probably not look natural. But without an exam I could not possibly tell you what would be best for you.