371 Cc Moderate Profile or 400 Cc High Profile?

I have been to 2 consults and have very different opinions. I am a 32A 5'4 105-110 lbs and was told I have a 13 bwd. One surgeon told me that the largest I could go was allergan style 15 371 cc's (mod +) and the other told me that a mod + profile at that cc level would likely make me look barrel-chested. That surgeon suggested that I would be better suited to a 400cc high profile implant. I don't want to go any smaller than a full C or any bigger than a DD. Any advice welcome. Thank you!

Breast Implant Size/Profile?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You'll find that every plastic surgeon has a different method of selecting breast implants to achieve patients' goals. I personally do not select the size or profile of breast implants prior to surgery.

In my practice I use goal pictures to communicate with patients.  With this technique patients are able to demonstrate what they are trying to achieve and what type of looks they do not like as well.

During surgery 
I  use sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 

By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Moderate or High Profile Breast Implants?

There may be no correct answer here. The sizes of these 2 implants are similar enough (one ounce of difference in volume) but the desired effect in your upper breast will be a bit different as the High Profile implants may give you a more visible upper breast implant appearance compared to the Moderate Plus Profile which has a more gradual transition. The High Profile are narrower but project forward more, which may give the appearance of a wider space between your breasts.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Hi profile or moderate profile

The size and shape difference between the hi or moderate profile implants with be only a slight one.  You haven't indicated whether you plan to you saline or silicone implants. If you are going with saline implants I would recommend hi profile for one simple reason. They tend to ripple less. If you are going with silicone gel either option will give you a comparable result.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast implant choices

Without a physical exam it is difficult to suggest an implant. In general, I prefr hp's for most patients that want augmentation becuase most of my patients are fairly narrow and want fairly large breasts.

Differing opinions are not unusual and maybe a third will be the charm

Your photos show you to be an A cup with no ptosis (droopiness) and reasonable symmetry.  There is some degree of outward orientation of your nipple/areolar (N/A) complexes.  Considerations of implant profile relate to base width as you have reported, your baseline breast shape, tissue characteristics and the "look" that you are trying to achieve.    The description "barrel-chested" may refer more to your baseline,  and the choice of implant profile may not have much bearing on that.

For a given volume, a moderate plus implant has more width and less projection which would favor more medial and lateral fullness, whereas a high profile would not yield as much medially and laterally but will provide more forward projection. 

An important consideration for you is to discuss is centering your implants slightly more lateral than the mid breast meridian to help a bit with your outward facing N/A and certainly to avoid emphasizing that appearance by centering the implants too medially. 

Take your time and speak with your surgeon(s) about your concerns.  View patient examples with similar appearance to help with your decision.

Good luck.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 371 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in a bit.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast implant cc and profile

Either implant choice may work depending on your goal.  I think that the 371 will be between a full C and a D. The 400 HP will likely make you a full D or DD. It depends if you want to err on the side of being bigger or more modest. Your call.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation and implant size

Thank you for sharing your question and pictures. I will choose the size, type and style of implants based on your examination that reveals the measurements, your breast soft tissue situation and the goal of shape and size you desire to achieve. there is no cookbook style and the implant choice should be tailor tack individually.

M. Ryan Khosravi, MD