I Am 37 and Had a Tummy Tuck 5 Years Ago. Can I Have a Safe Delivery and Pregnancy? (photo)

The concern I have is whether my belly muscles would get large enough to hold a growing baby for nine months. I had two pregnancies. The first, my son was born at 37 weeks; and the twins were 36 weeks. Both times I felt streched to the max and my water broke before I went into labor. I had the surgery to correct an ambilical hernia. Which actually returned two months after the mini tummy tuck. Is my dream of a fourth child out of the question?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Can I have a baby after a tummy tuck

+1

Fortunately, your body is smarter than any plastic surgeon.  When you become pregnant circulating hormones of pregnancy allow the skin, the muscle and even the pelvis to relax once again.  You should have no trouble bearing another child.

If you had muscle tightening with your original tummy tuck I would suggest you let your obstetrician know about it just in case you require c-section. It would be helpful information to be aware of during this type of surgery.

Based upon your photographs it's likely that you will require another tummy tuck, and even a hernia repair once again if you deliver.  You may want to defer a future tummy tuck until after you have finished childbearing.  Based upon what I see if you do consider tummy tuck and the future you will probably benefit most from a full tummy tuck which will remove more of the redundant skin and allow a complete tightening of the abdominal wall.

Web reference: http://www.atcosmetics.com/abdominoplasty/index.html

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after tummytuck should not be a problem

+1

it would be very unlikely that you would encounter problems related to your prior abdominoplasty if you were to become pregnant again. of course you would likely need to redo the abdominoplasty after delivery to regain your pre-pregnancy appearance.

Web reference: http://www.drbarach.com

Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

You will be fine

+1

You will be fine with another pregnancy. You will need to have full tummy tuck to fix the extra skin and repair the hernia year after delivery .

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after Tummy Tuck

+1

While your hernia may enlarge, and you may require a revision of your abdominoplasty, there is no reason to worry about your muscles affecting your pregnancy.