36A/32B to 400cc, Worry About Sizing? (photo)

Hi! I'm having my BA in 11 days and I'm worried about sizing! (Totally common, I know!) I'm 24 years old, no children, 5'1, 123lbs and a 36A or small 32B. My PS & I decided on 400cc silicone gel under the muscle, inframammory incision. I'm hoping this decision will bring me to a natural 'full' C or small small D. Do you think this will get to me to the size I want to achieve? I'm worried anything bigger than a small D will make me look 'top heavy' or unproportional.

Implant size

+1
I believe a 400cc implant would be much to big for you, but it is your decision.  I believe you will be a full D-cup with that size implant.  300cc would appear more natural, but it depends on what you want. Good luck.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I find I typically go with smaller implants for people who want a C vs a D, that being said I am a very conservative augment surgeon

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Implant sizing

+1

There are several variables in determining implant size.  When recommending implant size for my patients, I consider the followings: 1) patients' anatomy (height, weight, chest width, chest height, amount of breast tissue) and 2) patients' desired look/goal.  Without knowing your chest measurement and breast tissue amount, I cannot give you any recommendation.  You should visit with board-certified plastic surgeon who will examine you.  Try implant sizers to get a rough estimate of the size you may want.  As you know, bra/cup size will vary depending on the brand.  Good luck with you.
Dr. Sugene Kim

Sugene Kim, MD

Choosing an implant that "fits"

+1

Rather than focusing on the type of implant profile or the number of cc's or bra cup size (with is manufacturer dependant), I would recommend you communicate very clearly your expectations and desires. Your plastic surgeon will decide with you on the profile of the implant based on the breast width, your body shape, skin elasticity and thickness and native breast tissue present. Based on the limited information you have given your results are achievable. In my practice I usually explain the implant types, profile and rationale for using different implants/ profiles. I also use the a special sizing system pre-op and have patients try them inside a bra so they can get a sense of their look. I never tell them what size I have picked until they show me the "look" they REALLY desire by trying on the sizing sytem in our office. Then we sit down and evaluate "the look" they have chosen and see if it matches what I have chosen by measurements and physical exam.  It does make it both fun and is a healthier partnership between patients and the PS.  Speak with your plastic surgeon. Good luck on your surgery!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Implant size anxiety

+1

I do not promise a patient a cup size because this is a ticket to disappointment.  It is best to look for a shape or contour that you like.  In our office we use the Vectra 3D imaging system.  This allows the patient to visualize their result prior to surgery.  In one year of use and over 100 breast augmentations I have had no patient complain of an implant size problem.

Define your goals

+1

While cup size is a gauge of breast volume, it may be more important to clearly decide what you want to achieve. Frequently, women are seeking a certain fit to their clothing, to look a certain way in swimwear or have a desire to look a certain way when undressed. Be sure to communicate this to your surgeon.  Sizers can give you a general idea of this, but everyone's breasts may react a little differently to augmentation and surgical style and approach may also have an impact. Be prepared for some variation from your ideal.  The size you are talking about will probably allow you to have a full breast contour and still be able to shop for clothing without going to a lot of extra effort regarding finding separate pieces or going to specialty shops. Certainly, I agree with other comments that the cup size varies significantly from one bra manufacturer to another and even between styles within a single company.  Sometimes, if you can find photos of people of similar height and weight and preoperative breast appearance who have had different sizes of implants placed, it can be helpful in your decision making process. I hope things go very well for you.  

Jeffrey G. Copeland, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Do a baggy test?

+1

If you think that 400 cc may be right for you, then I suggest doing a baggy test to check it out. It is difficult to nail down cup size based upon implant volume.

Implant Size Selection can Tricky

+1

Implant size selection b can be quite tricky.  First of all, a common measure of breast size is bra cup size.  This is problematic because cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and from style to style and is not entirely reliable for precise measurement and prediction of breast size.

I am also an advocate of dimensional planning.  This is a process where measurements of the chest wall as well as the breast height and width as well as your own tissue characteristics are all taken into account to determine what implant size will be best suited for your particular tissue characteristics.

In my office, I also use a breast implant gel sizing system.    This way you can visualize the possible outcomes to get the size and shape that you always wanted

Dr. Landis

Minneapolis, MN

George H. Landis, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

36A/32B to 400cc, Worry About Sizing?

+1

Very little posted to help respond to your concerns. I guess 400 cc would work, but always best to be on the same page as your surgeon. Sounds like you need further pre operative discussions to me. Is he/she boarded?? Do they have the "circle"!