I Am 36 Yrs Old, 5 Ft and 125 Lbs. I Am a Full B Cup . Will 400 Cc's Make Me a Full D Cup?

Rule of Thumb- 200cc's is One Cup Size

+2

A simple rule of thumb is - 200cc's is one cup size. This limitations to this rule is that a small person will look proportionately larger than a tall or broad person with a similar implant. Also, if you have a large amount of pre-existing breast tissue, the implant will influence cup size as much.

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Implant size

+1

Thank you for your FAQ.  First off, forget about bra size.  Any woman can tell you that there is no standardization when it comes to bra size (or any women's clothing!).  So don't get hung up on numbers: both the bra size and the implant size.

When you have a consultation, make sure you "try on" implants and make sure you look at your whole body wearing form fitting clothin in a full length mirror.  Proportion is soooooo important.  And make sure your surgeon carefully evaluates and measures your chest dimensions.  It is critical for the implant to "fit" your chest.

I always do my measurements first and then select a range of sizes that are appropriate for the patient's build.  If the patient doesn't think she will be happy within this range of size, she won't be happy with me as her surgeon and she will need to find one of those "go big or go home" surgeons.

It's also super helpful when a patient goes online and finds a result that she likes in a patient who is similar in age and build.  Most examples that are posted online come with the volume of implant used.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

How many cc's fo a breast augmentation?

+1

Breast augmentation involves solving equations of balance:

top vs. bottom;

left vs. right;

volume vs. skin envelope. 

My approach is to bring a lot of implants to the OR and to use temporary "sizers" to see which type if implant looks best when it is in position in the patient.  Discuss your goals with your surgeon.  Hopefully you guys are on the same page.  If so, do not be attached to a particular size implant.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

How to pick breast implants.

+1

1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating room inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Which size implant will you need to meet your goals?

+1

The choice of implant size and style is a critical one and each surgeon has his own way of helping patients determine this.  It's difficult to know exactly which implant will work best for you without photos or a consultation, so I would recommend meeting with a plastic surgeon for a consultation so that you can go over your goals and he can examine you and give you his recommendations for how to get the results you want.  At our practice we like to have patients try on the implants in a bra and T-shirt just as a tool so that we can better understand the results and look that you are going for (every patient has a slightly different idea of what a C cup or D cup may be, so we really want to know the look you want)-- this info really helps us in recommending the right implant for you.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

+1

No photos posted! So MY GUESS is no, I would recommend 450 to 500 cc for "full" D cup. Make sure you are aware of the saying, "I wish I would have gone bigger". 

Breast Implant Size

+1

Clear communication with your plastic surgeon is important in achieving the desired goals of the patient.  I like to communicate with patients with “goal” pictures.  During surgery, I use temporary sizers to determine the size/profile that will give the patient the look she is looking for. Trying to predict the size of the implant preoperatively is not ideal.  I think it is too much responsibility for the patient to choose the size of the implant.  Ideally, the surgeon would make that determination once he/she is in the operating room with sizers in and examining the patient in the upright and supine position.  There are many variables that come into play when choosing the correct implant size (how much breast tissue the patient currently has, the shape of the chest wall (concave vs. convex), etc..  

How many cc's to go from a B to D cup?

+1

A rule of thumb is that a cup size is about 150-200cc for an average woman. We also know that many women do not wear the apropriate bra cup size. Without photos, it sounds that you are small framed and 400cc will give you a D-DD. Implant selection is based on your anatomic measurements, skin elasticity and breast base diameter among other measurements. Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation and examination.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Proably 400 cc's would be more than adequate for you

+1

It is hard to tell without seeing you in person and examining your breasts.  So a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be the determining factor.  But from your description of yourself and your present bra size, I think that 400 cc breast implants would accomplish what you desire.

James Tang, MD