36 Years Old, 5'1" and 155lbs. I Wear a 38D. Would Breast Reduction Help my Pain?

Underwire bras hurt and it feels better if I hold my breats up. I have lost some weight, but it has not helped reduce breast size. Any suggestions??

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

Breast reduction surgery may be helpful in alleviating neck, back,  and shoulder discomfort if caused by large breasts.  If your symptoms are related to the size of the breasts breast reduction surgery may be very helpful;  it is one of the most patient pleasing operations would perform.

It would be in your best interests  to be evaluated by your physicians for specific guidance. At some point you may want to seek consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Breast reduction and pain relief

+1

Upper back, neck and shoulder discomfort have been associated with heavy breasts.  It's best to undergo a complete evaluation for your  back pain and then to determine if a breast reduction would be palliative. It's best to consult an experienced Plastic Surgeon in your area as well as a back specialist.

Dr. Pedy Ganchi/ Village Plastic Surgery

Ridgewood, New Jersey

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

+1

Dear cr8tive,

Breast reduction typically helps with back, neck, or shoulder pain caused by having large, heavy breasts. Having pain while wearing an underwire bra may be caused by other factors such as an improperly fitting bra. I would consult with an experienced plastic surgeon about your concerns.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Breast reduction

+1
A breast reduction would likely improve your symptoms. It would be best to get to your ideal weight prior to surgery

David L. Abramson, MD

Relief of pain after breast reduction

+1

In short, I would expect at least some improvement in the pain you describe. On the other hand if the pain is coming from the breast tissue itself (and not from merely the weight of the breasts) then there may not be much relief from the pain.  Weight loss unfortunately does not reduce the size of the breast when the breasts contain mainly gland tissue.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon