36 Stitches in Forehead, Vertical - Options? (photo)

I've attached a picture, taken today (8 days after the accident, 1 day after removing stitches). My forehead is a mess, but seems to be healing well. What are my options? My plan is to treat with the antibiotic ointment the doctor gave me for the next week. Once healed, avoid sun, apply mederma/cocoa butter, massage, wear headbands for the next 2-3 months. Then what? Am I best to leave it for a year before consulting a cosmetic surgeon? I'm open to laser treatment, can't stomach surgery.

Takes time

+3

Hi, you have a list of things to do that its on the right path.  I also recommend silicone based gels or patches that will help to reorganize the scar tissue. 

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Scar on forehead

+2

I cannot tell from the picture if the scar is red only, or if it is also raised. A silicone gel dressing is a good idea. Make sure to protect it from the sum. Your are right in that it time the scar will take time to improve.

Vicki J. Levine, MD

Improving the appearance of scars

+2

I would recommend consulting with someone with expertise in lasers such as a dermatologist with fellowship training in lasers. I usually do not wait for a year but begin intervention early. There are options to help decrease the redness and blend the scar. Topical creams are not very helpful

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon