Possible to Have Breast Reduction with Lipo then a Lift?

36 H wants lipo reduction THEN a lift. I know liposuction itself is not advisable due to shape/firmness issues. Would providing a lift thereafter produce better results? Good results? My main concern is with the possibility to preserve breastfeeding function. If i was not worried about this, i would have had this done a long long time ago... help!!!

Breast Reduction Candidate?

Based on your description of breast size you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery;  it will be in your best interest to achieve a long-term stable weight prior to surgery. Most patients undergoing breast reduction surgery ( without free nipple grafting) are able to breast-feed successfully afterwards.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Alternatives to breast reduction: liposuction and lift

Part of performing a reduction is to rearrange the breast tissue which may or may not be performed in a lift. The choice of the procedure depends on your anatomy, your preference and the surgeon's experience. Discuss these options with your board certified plastic surgeon

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Lipo or just straight breast reduction

A liposuction only reduction does not restore a good shape in the majority of breasts. It is better to have a reduction in one stage.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Breast reduction in one stage is best

A breast reduction is a breast lift with removal of tissue, so there is no real benefit to doing it in 2 stages with lipo first and then a lift. It would also not make a difference in terms of the risk for affecting the ability to breast feed. Why have 2 surgeries instead of one?

Richard Baxter, MD

6100 219th St SW
Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043

Two stage breast reduction

A two stage breast reduction is not actually a bad idea since it allows a surgeon to address the volume and shape issues separately. However, this is not the usual process since it is obviously more expensive and requires longer healing time to go through two, rather than one, surgery. There also might be a limit as to how much of the breast can be reduced with liposuction alone if much of the volume is gland rather than fat. You really need to sit down and discuss these issues with a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon. As fas as breast feeding is concerned, the ability to breast-feed is not directly related to surgery since some woman cannot breast feed naturally and most breast reduction procedures, even ones that cut across milk ducts, do not affect the ability to breast- feed. 

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

462 N. Linden Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Liposuction Then A Breast Lift ? I'm Not So Sure...

Nobody knows if liposuction is safer than a regular breast lift/reduction for breast feeding.  If you are really a 36H, I am not sure I would even consider lipo alone because of the possible skin excess.

I don't see an advantage for you of going through 2 surgeries, 2 downtimes, 2 exposures to anesthesia and increased expense.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

17226 Mercury Drive
Houston, TX 77058

No lipo

You are too big for a lipo - you would need a standard breast reduction. Some people can nurse after a reduction also some women with very large breasts can't nurse. Your call.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

308 E 79th St
New York, NY 10075

Liposuction Reduction followed by Mastopexy

The scenario you describe (reduction using liposuction followed by breast lift) is feasible.  This would make later breast feeding easier and more reliable.  The problems are that it would be more expensive and also that breast feeding will tend to reverse the effects of your mastopexy to some degree.  Good luck!

John Whitt, MD (retired)

4001 Kresge Way
Louisville, KY 40207

Breast reduction before breast feeding

The scenario you describe makes some sense, but you are leaving out the most important element, that of enlargement of the breasts during breast feeding and then loss of volume afterward and subsequent redroop. If you wish to do this in two stages, I would do the liposuction reduction and then put up with the droop until after you have children and breast feed them. Then I would have the lift and not worry about redroop.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

209 Hospital Drive
Highlands, NC 28741