36 Hours After Restylane Undereye Treatment, I Am Experiencing Swelling on Left Upper Lip/cheeks?

I received a Restylane under eye treatment with minimal to no swelling on my left eye and moderate swelling on my right eye on Wednesday afternoon. Friday morning around 4am I woke up to a tingling sensation around my lips and now the left side of my lips and cheeks are swollen. Am I having an allergic reaction to the Restylane? Has anyone else experienced swelling outside of the treatment area? Should I have it removed?

+1

Having an allergic reaction to Restylane is very rare, I suggest you consult with your medical provider immediately

Swelling after Restylane

+1

Some swelling after injections with Restylane is normal. For this reason, I recommend the application of ice (not directly to the skin of course), 15 minutes every hours for a few hours after injection--if possible, although not required. In most cases, the swelling resolved within 24-72 hours, but can last longer.

Moderate to severe swelling is uncommon, but warrants contacting one's physician for advice and/or evaluation.

Robert S. Bader, M.D. 

Robert S. Bader, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling After Restylane

+1

Although some degree of swelling is normal after the injection, and some areas may be more swollen than others, a sterile abscess, allergic reaction, infection or other possibilities, although rare, can also account for such symptoms.  I would recommend you contact your treating physician as it is best to be safe. Good luck!

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling following Restylane treatment

+1

Typically, any allergic reactions are extremely rare.  In this situation, I will prescribe Benadryl, antihistamine, and a steroid taper.  In all cases, the reaction has resolved.  
Common side effects of Restylane may include:

1) Minor bruising and swelling
2) Infection
3) Hematoma
4) Redness
5) Irregularities due to poor technique

I would recommend speaking with your physician who performed the injections regarding the issues you are experiencing. Thanks and best of luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane and swelling

+1

Swelling around the area post Restylane injection typically peaks around day 3 or 4 and it's not uncommon to have one side feel differently than the other and/or have the swelling migrate in the general location. I would follow up with the provider to assess your particular situation before considering removing product.

Sam Naficy, MD

Reaction to Restylane?

+1

You should see physician who performed the procedure, promptly.  Allergy to Restylane is very rare.  Infection and ischemia are two other possibilites.  You can also see an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon