Im Had 350cc Submuscular Saline Implants 3 Months Ago and They Still Look to Small, Is This My Final Result?

Im 5' 4 140 pounds, 35 year old,mother of one girl.

Breast size 3 months post-op

+1

You may see small changes for several more months and final results can take up to a full year.  It is unlikely that they will appear larger. 

Breast implant size too small

+1

If it was 3 months and you said that your breasts were too big, I would tell you that you may still have some swelling. Give it some time.

But if it's 3 months and you say that your breasts are too small, I will tell you that your breasts are probably not going to spontaneously get bigger without bigger implants or getting pregnant.

You will have to decide if getting bigger implants is worth undergoing another surgery. Implant change is usually much easier to recover from than the first operation. Your surgeon may be able to work with you on getting this done. He/She may want you to heal a little more before doing another operation. I doesn't hurt to ask.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Breasts too small 3 months after BA

+1

The hardest part of breast augmentations is determining the size of the implants.  Many factors go into it.  There is no sizing method that is fail proof.  It is impossible for a woman to know how she is going to feel about her chosen size until she has lived with it for awhile.  Most women adjust and are happy, but not 100% of them are.  If you are still unhappy at three months I doubt you are going to feel better in another one, two, three or six months.  I usually ask patients to wait 4-6 months to give their breasts time to settle and the swelling to resolve.  As long as your breasts are soft and there is lots of room in the pockets you should be able to have the implants exchanged with local anesthesia.  I put a mask on my patients and the help of a large mirror I try different sizers until they are satisfied. In general any increase less than 75 cc is usually not worth the trouble and expense.   I don't like to overfill saline implants this much so you will need new implants.  Good Luck!

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Your final breast size should be visible at 3 months after surgery

+1

After breast augmentation, there is significant swelling. It takes time for the implant to "drop" and the swelling to go down. You say you are now 3 months out from surgery. I think that your final size should be seen right now. I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with your size and you feel too small. This is a common complaint around the country and in my opinion is the result of a problem in the planning stages during consultation and office visits.  It is common for patients to come back to see me three or four times prior to surgery in order to be sure that the implant size they choose is going to make them happy. I also use 3D imaging so that they will have an idea of what the implants will look like on them.  You should speak with your surgeon about your concerns over the implant size.

Matthew Schulman, MD

The Final Size After Breast Augmentation

+1

It would be fair to say that at three months after breast augmentation, you are looking at the final size result. If you think they look too small, then your assessment of the final result is accurate. The only way that they will get 'bigger' or to an adequate size is if you eventually decide that, while they may be too small, another surgery is not appealing and you will just live with the size you now have. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Your breast size will not change

+1
We do not have your pictures to make comments about the best size for your breast tissue. The swelling should be resolved by now and your breast size will not change much. You need to discuss your concern with your surgeon. Bigger the implants, more risk of complications like sagging,thinning of breast tissue and fake look.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Too small after breast augmentation is (unfortunately) all-too-common!

+1

Your final breast size after augmentation mammoplasty (breast enlargement with implants) depends not only on the size of your implants, but also on the amount of breast tissue you had prior to the surgery. This is a commonly-forgotten factor, as women will give height, weight, and implant size and ask if that is "good" for them.

Your swelling will resolve over several months (by 3 months after surgery MOST, but not all, swelling has gone down) and your breast skin will stretch, your breast tissues and rib cage will compress slightly, and you will drop and settle to a different degree as compared to other women. Of course, your implant size will not change, and your "high, tight, and compressed" look will soften, settle, and perhaps even "come out" or project slightly more as time goes by. But this is what I have to tell patients at the 1 or 2-week post-op point in their recovery. At 3 months, you are pretty close to what your final appearance is going to be.

So if you're too small now, you will still be too small at a year from surgery. When this happens--and it does so all too frequently (read my article on the About tab on my Profile page on this site titled "What is the Right Breast Implant Size for You?")--I generally ask patients to wait at least 3-6 months to decide if this is really true for them, and then if they want to change implant size, re-operation is performed. I tell my patients before their first operation that re-do or revision surgery will be done at no additional surgeon's fee, but the patient is responsible for OR, anesthesia, and new implant costs. This is why I make such a "big deal" of trying to get the size right "the first time" since I get no additional income (and it takes time when I could have been earning from a new patient) and it costs my patient more. So we both "lose" if re-operation is necessary or desired.

Speak with your surgeon. You likely require re-operation. Consider silicone gel implants (click on the link below for more information) for a softer, more natural feel and look, as well as less likelihood for rippling and no chance for deflation and re-operation to fix that! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Results at 3 Months?

+1

No, I don't think you are  necessarily seeing the final results at 3 months.  Sometimes, as implants “settle and fluff out” they may actually appear larger at the six-month postop mark.  I would suggest giving  yourself more time  before making a final determination.

I have found in my  experience the most common regret after breast augmentation surgery is “I wish I was bigger”.  If you decide down the line that you wish to undergo revisionary surgery to increase your breast size it will be very important to communicate clearly with your plastic surgeon.

in my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.  I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. 
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Submuscular implants look too small

+1

A 350cc implant is an average volume in my practice, but the perspective of whether this is adequate depends on your body measurements, your native breast tissues, and the mechanical characteristics of the implant profile and its position.  Under the pectoral muscles, implants can be "squished" into a flattened shape that may look too small compared to implants of the same size in front of the muscle with more perceived projection.  Technical aspects of how much muscle coverage, use of acellular dermal matrix to shape your implant pockets, and other considerations may be useful.  These are choices you need to discuss in depth with your surgeon.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon