Should I Go for 350cc or 375cc Round Moderate Plus Implants?

I'm a fitness competitor and carry a good bit of muscle. Should I go with 350cc or 375cc round moderate plus silicone implants? I want to be a good C, not a D! I'm 5'3", 120lbs and my weight fluctuates by 10 lbs when I compete.

Implant Selection for athlete

+1
Implant selection should be a collaboration between the patient based on her needs/objectives and the surgeon based on his or her expertise and experience.

Choosing implants for the breasts

+1

It is so hard to tell patients what implant would be best for them without a formal exam and discussion of their goals.

There is a better way to go about picking implant size.

+1

To Fitgirl,

Hi! This is one of the most common questions I answer.

Here's what I recommend: Show your surgeon a picture of breasts that you like, and make sure she or he agrees that look would be good for your anatomy.

Then, DURING surgery, your surgeon inserts a disposable, temporary implant SIZER (they only cost $45). The surgeon tries different volumes in the sizer to see which size best produces the look you want. Only then, do we open the permanent implants and discard the sizers. It takes all the guess work out!

As an educated guess, I would say the sizes you are contemplating are too big for a competitor. But, the point is, you don't have to guess!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Doesn't really matter that much

+1

Why would a plastic surgeon say that?

Now that I have your attention, I want to tell you how to think about it. 5 cc's = 1 teaspoon. 30 cc's =~ 1 shot glass. In your example, 25 cc's = 5 teaspoons, or less than a shot glass--not that much of a difference at all. When you look at how the implant changes with size, the diameter tends to increase with each size increment, while the projection doesn't change or doesn't change that much.

Chances are that both implants will give you about the same look, but one may produce a slightly better result aestecially. On the other hand, beauty is the eye of the beholder. So you may be aesthetically perfect in the eye of the plastic surgeon, but if you hate them, not good!

One size difference, especially in silicone won't make a big difference in your overall size, and will be noted mostly in the diameter.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Size difference not the most important issue

+1

The previous replies explain well that there is only a tiny difference between the two sizes. A more important issue in my mind is the technique used for augmentation in fitness competitors. Above the muscle will look fake because of low body fat, below the muscle causes other problems such as animation deformities when you flex. I use what is called a split muscle technique or subfascial technique for cases like yours. This way you get the coverage where you need it for a more natural look while minimizing the chance of other problems. I would be happy to send you some more information on it.

Richard Baxter, MD

There is not significant difference in those 2 sizes.

+1

Check out what 25 ccs is. Get a jigger for liquor -- it is less than 1 ounce. A teaspoon is 5ccs -- so fill it 5 times and look at how much is there.

Have your plastic surgeon size you -- dont fuss over that small difference.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

There is less than one ounce difference

+1

Hello

I don't think it really makes any difference, as there is less than one ounce difference between the two. We find that many patients want to be "a full C, not a D." In reality most "full Cs" can fit into a D cup bra, particularly since bra manufacturers vary siginificantly. As an example, I have a patient who can wear bras that are B, C, or D depending on the manufacturer!

So, don't concentrate so much on the cup size. Breast diameter, chest configuration and projection are more important to the final look than whatever letter is on the bra. Talk to your surgeon extensively. Talk to other patients of similar frame and build. In the end, there is no foolproof way of guaranteeing a cup size, but you want to go into the surgery feeling confident that whatever size you pick is right for you.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

There is almost no difference

+1

Dear Fitgirl, As a follow-up to the other answer regarding your activities, there is virtually no difference between a 350 and a 375 moderate plus profile implant. A couple of tablespoons of volume. The final cup size might be a D depending on what fits you best and if your band width is 32 or 34. Don't focus on the cup size, just on the "look" you want.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS