35 year old female 5'6", 159lbs never had kids, never been obese... why was I told I needed a tummy tuck instead of lipo?

I recently went in for a consultation for VASER liposuction of the upper and lower abdomen as well as the outer thighs. The doctor who evaluated me mentioned "extra skin" but this was news to me as when my weight fluctuates, my "skin" always behaves accordingly. Last year I was in the 140s. Right now I am 159lbs and steadily headed back towards the 140s. My problem areas will be smaller then but still there. Why would he think my skin wouldnt shrink up with lipo if it does with weight loss?

Will My Abdominal Skin Shrink with Liposuction As Much As With Weight Reduction

+1
A patient should always consider and discuss with her plastic surgeon the possibility that the skin will be unacceptably loose after abdominal liposuction. It is not quite so easy to determine this beforehand, so if a plastic surgeon has brought this up as a possibility, one should pay close attention to that opinion. The skin is seldom tight after abdominal liposuction, and even if it does shrink up a bit, the thorough defatting of most of the subcutaneous layer can cause hanging or wrinkling of the skin, particularly below the belly button. If this does occur, and has not been discussed ahead of time, then a suggestion to now proceed with a tummy tuck may not be as well received as if it had been discussed before hand.
Since every woman is different, and an in person exam is necessary to advise in a particular case, getting several opinions from board certified plastic surgeons may help you sort out how to proceed.
 The link below shows a patient who had liposuction that was then converted to a tummy tuck.

Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

+1

Pictures or an exam would be necessary to make an assessment in this case.

Liposuction results are highly surgeon dependent. Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of liposuction and liposuction revision procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.