35% Glycolic Acid Peel and Pain; Is This Normal?

Is a 35% Glycolic Acid peel supposed to sting to the point that you can`t wait to get it off after even one minute? Nothing I've researched mentions the pain part? It continued to "sting" overnight and now I've got a red spot but only on my chin.

Stinging with a 35% glycolic acid peel

+1
Stinging shortly after a glycolic acid peel is applied is normal. It should go away after the peel is neutralized. If you had a mild burn, are not doing proper post peel care, or have an underlying skin condition such as eczema or seborrheic dermatitis, the symptoms might linger. Check with the professional who applied the peel.

Glycolic acid peels can sting

+1

Glycolic acid peels can sting.  They need to be removed/neutralized within a few minutes. There should be no further stinging.  If you are still stinging at home, you need to put on ice and cold water and call your doctor.  This sometimes happens, and can be treated with cortisone and cold compresses.  It should go away.

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologist