I am a 34dd and would like to know if I should have a reduction or just a lift?

I'm 5"5, 140 lbs, and a 39 year old mother of two as well as a hairstylist. Prior to children I was a 34c, same body weight. I do not necessarily mind the size of my breast, but the weight and the sagging is causing neck,back, and shoulder pain as well as rashing in the crease

Lift with or without reduction

+1

At 5'5 and 140 lbs, your BMI is 24, which is normal. You seem to be happy with your size of DD but do not like the pain generated by the excess weight. The Ultimate Breast Lift is a new technique that transfers the weight of the breast to the underlying muscle. This results in immediate relief of neck, back and shoulder pain while allowing you to keep the size breast you prefer. This technique reshapes your breast creating upper pole fullness, elevates them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. Nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed are maintained. No ugly vertical scars are required. If you want a reduction, that can also be done simultaneously. At size 34 each 100 grams is 1 cup size change. 100 grams removal would take you down to a D.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1
Based upon your symptoms it sounds like you would be a great candidate for a breast reduction which would also provide a lift. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction

+1

To relieve symptoms you have to remove more than just skin and some breast tissue which means you will likely benefit from a traditional breast reduction

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Lift v. Reduction...why not both?? Ask Dr Ellen

+1

Hi Umabug,

Thanks so much for your question.

My guess is that the increase in breast size is related to the stretching of your skin, and that the associated discomfort of your neck, back and shoulder is due to the lower position of your breasts and the leverage of the pulling- sort of like an anchor dragging you downward.

One thing you can count on with time, is that everything will drop further. Generally if the skin has stretched enough to create stretch marks and the nipple has dropped below the fold of your breast - some type of a lift will help in repositioning your breasts.

Some percentage of your current cup size is related to excess skin. I'm amazed at how often just retailoring the skin can reduce a cup size by 2-3 times. The only way you will be able to assess the question of whether a reduction is of value is to get in for a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. That way, he/she will be able to show you how much extra skin can be removed and you'll have a better idea of the volume of breast tissue that will remain.

Regardless of a lift or reduction, your skin is destined to continue to stretch over time but unlikely to land you in the same situation you find yourself in now.

Thanks for asking! Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

34 DD lift or reduction

+1

By the information you provided, I would recommend you have a lift with a reduction. If you truly are a DD, there will be so much weight still that recurrence of the sagging will occur earlier than you would want. You may not be a DD but have extra skin that you are measured for that size bra. That happens frequently. I would suggest you get a consultation from a board certified surgeon who performs this regularly and get some information.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift versus reduction

+1

I believe your answer is yes all around. You should have a lift and reduction of as much volume along with the extra skin as you desire. A lift will reduce breast volume in virtually every case, but reduction of burdensome weight and volume can also be achieved. If the volume is large enough than you will likely qualify for insurance coverage for breast reduction. Good Luck

Neil Gottlieb, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Reduce breast size

+1

hi there, its difficult to give an assessment without looking at photos, but reading between lines it seems a small reduction will be a better option. Breast reduction may relieve your symptoms of neck, back and shoulder pain, and rashes under breast. have a chat with your local PS. best wishes

Nadir Ali, FRCS(Plast)
Liverpool Plastic Surgeon

Had Mastopexy surgery 6 days ago?

+1

By the sounds of your symptoms you should be considering a reduction. A lift is not likely to relieve the weight related problems. A consult with a plastic surgeon will be the best way to sort through the options.

Thanks for your question, all the best.