Hello, I Am 34 Years Old a Mother of Two Children, Both Delivered with a C-section

my youngest is 5 now and i still look like i am at lease 5 months pregnant. I am considering a tummy tuck, my doctor said i should lose weight first and then do it but i am totally unable to lose weight and i believe i will look extremely different after the tummy tuck. What happens if i do it now without losing the extra weight?

Weight loss prior to tummy tuck surgery

+1

I ask my patients to reach their ideal weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. It is in your best interest to lose as much as possible to avoid additional surgery. Weight loss post-surgery may affect your results dramatically. You also, want to be in good health before surgery to ensure the best results possible and no complications during surgery. Also, make sure there are no medical reasons (e.g. hypothyroidism) that is preventing your weight loss.

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a board certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.

Tummy tuck Now or Later

+1

How tall are you and how much do you currently weigh. Ideally you should lose the excess weight before tummy tuck surgery but depending on your current figure and location of the excess fat, surgery may be performed now. Photos would be helpful.

Richard Linderman, MD

Abodminoplasty and Weight Loss

+1

To acheive optimal  abdominoplasty results, it's recommended to lose weight.  With diet and exercise the excess intra-abdominal and subcutaneous abdominal fat will be decreased and there will likely be more excess skin that can be removed and additional tightening of the abdominal wall during the abdominoplasty procedure.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Lose weight then do the tummy tuck

+1

Even though it is hard for everyone, weight loss is something everybody can do if they really want to do it.  It basically comes down to eating fewer calories than you burn and making sure you take in plenty of protein and a balanced diet.  Then you will get a great tummy tuck.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Weight loss and Abdominoplasty...

+1

Many patients after child bearing would benefit from an abdominoplasty.  Having children tends to stretch out your muscles and can leave your with skin laxity.  If you have tried to loose the weight and can not do so an abdominoplasty can still be performed with great results, but these results would be optimized by losing weight first.  Some patients may undergo Liposuction to their abdomen first and then have Abdominoplasty done 6 weeks later.  I would make an appointment with your plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Consider Weight Loss Before Tummy Tuck

+1

Dear Miromohsen,

There are a couple of considerations to your consideration of weight loss before a tummy tuck.

You didn't put down your current weight and height, so a BMI/ body mass index of around 25 may be a reasonable goal before considering a tummy tuck.  Your BMI may vary depending on how much muscle you have, but in general, the less overall body fat you have, the better your tummy tuck results.  There are many BMI calculators on the web.

It's good to have a stable overall weight for the past 6-12 months before considering surgery.

The more loose skin you have, as opposed to internet fat or overall fat, the better your results will be long-term.  If you still look 5 months pregnant, then your plastic surgeon may be implying that you would have better overall results if you lost some weight before any surgery.

Best Wishes,

Roy

Roy Kim, MD

Weight loss and tummy tuck

+1

Lose whatever weight that you can first and then go for the tummy tuck. You will stillness to control your weigh after the tummy tuck or else you will ruin your result. You will most likely lose weight after the tummy tuck for a numbers of reasons and be motivated to maintain it. You would have to lose alot of weight to ruin your result afterwards.

David Nicholas Csikai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and tummy tuck

+1

Do your very best with exercise and diet.  Then it is time for the tummy tuck! 

Good luck!

Brent Moelleken, MD