Im 34 and Im Noticing Slight Sagging in my Cheeks and Developing Sagging Jowls?

i saw a plastic surgeon and she said my best option is a mini face lift with lipo suction my cheeks closer to my moth due to heaviness I'm 5.4 and 167 pounds I'm still losing weight i know my cheeks will look thinner is all that necessary or is there another way to fix my slightly sagging cheeks without something that invasive I hate to be left with scars

Surgery after weight loss

+2

At 34 years of age there is no reason for a mini lift.  At 5 feet 4 inches and 167 pounds the only thing that is necessary is continuing weight loss. It is extremely important to be height/weight proportionate before undergoing elective facial cosmetic surgery.

Surgery vs weight loss

+1
Wait on facial plastic surgery until you have lost the weight you want to lose. At your age, it is quite possible that a non-invasive treatment like laser skin tightening might provide the results you are hoping to achieve.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and surgery

+1

I tell my patients to lose as much weight as they possibly can before any surgery and a great deal depends on skin tone and elasticity.  It’s very difficult to definitively answer your question without seeing you, or at the very least seeing a photo.  You may well be a good candidate for a mini-facelift with liposuction and you may also benefit from a second opinion from another Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Losing weight vs facial surgery

+1

With the description you've given, weight loss is the most important thing for you.   Your health is much more important than any further changes in your face, and getting down toward your ideal body weight will be good for you.  If you did decide to pursue facial surgery in the future, you will be better off having lost the weight so hold off on surgery for now.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and facelifting

+1

If you are still losing weight, you  may want to hold off any facial rejuvenation procedures until the weight loss is complete.

Continue Weight Loss and Then Facelift

+1

I would agree that the weight loss should continue before making any decisions about surgery.  The jowling and cheek descent may be significantly worse if you were to lose another 35 lbs.

Facelift at age 34

+1

Thank you for your question. While it is impossible to give specific advice without an actual exam, I can give you some thoughts.

Ideally, it would be best to complete your weight loss before doing anything to your face. With weight loss, you may have additional volume loss in your face and cheeks. This can change the ultimate plan of what can be done.

There are many options for treatment of aging changes of the face. These can include both surgical options and non-surgical options such as lasers and injectables. Once your weight loss is complete and your weight has stabilized, your face should be evaluated and the options discussed.

Best of luck with your face.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Cheek Lipo? Mid-Face Lift

+1

First, If you have a tendency to lose facial volume with weight loss I would recommend obtaining a stable weight. Then facial reevaluation would be warranted. 

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Sagging cheeks and facelift

+1

Thanks for your question. It is difficult to give you the best recommendation without pictures of your face and a formal consultation.  34 years old is usually on the younger side to undergo a facelift, however there are other non invasive options such as Ulthera which tigthens skins around the jowls and cheek without incisions using ultrasound technology.

If the cheeks are truly the area where there is excessive fat, then a buccal fat removal may be the best option. This is a minor procedure where an incision is made inside the mouth or through a facelift incision to remove fat in your cheeks.

It is best to get within 10-20 lbs of your target weight before considering any facial rejuvenative procedure. 

I hope this helps and I always recommend consultation with a board-certified specialist to help you achieve the results you desire 

Sachin S. Parikh, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sagging Cheeks

+1

While it is difficult to make a recommendation without a proper evaluation, there are other ways to address sagging in the cheeks without having a facelift.  Because of the important structures in the cheeks, I usually recommend buccal fat removal instead of liposuction, but this again depends on your facial structure and amount of sagging.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can best assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD