Going from 34 AA to Full B with the McGhan 410FF 255 Gr Implant?

I am scheduled for surgery this week and am 5'6", 120 lbs, 34AA and am considering getting no bigger than a full B/small C at the most. Will the projection of this implant (4.4cm) be too much? My PS says the FF style will only give me 1 1/2 cups enlargement. I have seen many before and after pictures of this style implant and seem to mostly prefer the FM 270 implant (4.2cm projection). Is there a significant difference between the two? Thanks!!

Implant Profiles: Discuss with Your Surgeon

+2

The differences are subtle and will not make a difference in cup size.

To prove this to yourself, pull out a ruler that can show you how small 2mm are.

Please discuss your concerns with a follow-up preoperative consultation with your surgeon

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1
In breast augmentation I have chosen to spend time reviewing photographs with patients to fully understand their expectation of size and shape. Many times this simply raises more questions. I will make measurements and use the implant guides to allow the patient to understand exactly the sizes that are reasonable for their body type and measurements.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Implant Selection Process

+1

Generally speaking, the bigger the implants, the higher the risk of complications.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

#4 AA to full B small C

+1

Not a big difference between the two. I think you will achieve the results you wish. But rather than focusing on the type of implant profile or the number of cc's or bra cup size (with is inaccurate and manufacturer dependent), I would recommend you communicate very clearly your expectations and desires. Your plastic surgeon will decide with you on the profile of the implant based on the breast width, your body shape, skin elasticity and thickness and native breast tissue present.  In my practice I usually explain the implant types, profile and rationale for using different implants/ profiles. I also use the a special sizing system pre-op and have patients try them inside a bra so they can get a sense of their look. I never tell them what size I have picked until they show me the "look" they REALLY desire by trying on the sizing system in our office. Then we sit down and evaluate "the look" they have chosen and see if it matches what I have chosen by measurements and physical exam.  It does make it both fun and is a healthier partnership between patients and the PS.  Speak with your plastic surgeon.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Breast implant size

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saiine/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:
1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.
3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.
4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Small difference in breast implant diameter and projection

+1

This is a modest size differerence in diameter and projection and I do not believe it will make any significant difference in your final result.

Form stable implants

+1

The projection difference is only 2mm.  The difference will mainly be in the implant width.  This is something that you should go over carefully during your consultation or follow-up consultation.

Breast Augmentation with McGhan 410

+1

I am scheduled for surgery this week and am 5'6", 120 lbs, 34AA and am considering getting no bigger than a full B/small C at the most. Will the projection of this implant (4.4cm) be too much? My PS says the FF style will only give me 1 1/2 cups enlargement. I have seen many before and after pictures of this style implant and seem to mostly prefer the FM 270 implant (4.2cm projection). Is there a significant difference between the two?

You have to be comfortable with the surgeon you choose and be comfortable with the implant they choose for you.  This is the job of the plastic surgeon not your job.  You can help the surgeon by telling him or her what shape and look you are going for and the surgeon can determine what will work for you.  You also need to know that you are looking at the form stable implants, meaning that they do not change their shape and are more firm than the regular smooth round silicone implants.  Just wanted to make sure you are aware of this.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Insist on a look you want, not an implant size

+1

There is very little difference in the Allergan FM and FF implant. Do remember though that you have selected a 'form stable' or shaped implant. It will be by nature stiffer and deflect with pressure but return to its anatomical shape. The implant stays the same shape if you are on your back, standing, or on your side. I would suggest a focus on how you wish to look, shape, volume, upper fill, and find a surgeon ready to work with you to reach your goal. Only a well qualified surgeon will be able to determine the best implant to suit your goal.

peterejohnsonmd

34 AA to Full B with the McGhan 410FF 255 Gr Implant

+1

You really need to understand that these differences in projection are ONLY 2 millimeters. I recommend another pre operative consult with your chosen surgeon so you are fully informed.