I Have a 335cc Cohesive Gel Implant, and I Want to Go Bigger.

I have a 335cc cohesive gel implant. I find that the gel size are smaller than the saline size,is that true?. All my friends had saline implant put in, but their size are only 275cc or 300cc; but they are much bigger than mind. Now I want a revision but dont know what size to choose. Would another 100cc make any different? how big should I go if I want one cup bigger? Thank you for taking time to answer my question.

Saline vs Silicone

+3

First there are so many variables to consider when comparing yourself vs your friends. What size did they start with? What size chest or rib cage, etc, etc. That said, here's my rule of thumb: What ever size you try on in the office and like you must increase by 10-20% for the actual size you place at surgery. You lose approximately 20% of apparent size because they are in you not on you anymore. Finally, saline implants give about 20% more projection than saline. So when I see a patient going from saline to silicone I tell them if they want to stay the same size we have to go 20% larger on a silicone to equal the same volume in saline. Example - patient has 300cc implants inflated to 360. To switch to silicone she needs (same style) 430 silicone (or the closest size to that that is available).

Breast implant sizing

+2

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Saline implants may feel bigger than silicone. Implant pocket adjustment may help.

+2

Many factors determine how large the breasts look and feel after augmentation:

• the size and profile of the implant;
  • saline vs. silicone;
  • placement above vs. below the pectoralis muscle;
  • how much breast tissue was initially present and its quality/firmness;
  • breast skin thickness, elasticity, and droop;
  • body fat percentage
  • history of pregnancy and breast feeding;
  • body weight, height, and proportions.

In reference to your questions:

1. Saline implants may feel larger because they tend to have provide more fullness to the upper pole of the breast. Some patients like this look and feel; others prefer the softer, flatter upper breast that silicone implants tend to provide. Often a slightly larger silicone implant is needed to match the fullness of a saline implant.
  2. If you decide to increase the size of your implants, a 100cc difference is often not enough of an increase to make a patient who wants larger implants happy. However, I think it is critical to evaluate the breast implant pocket and positioning. Many implants that feel too small have settled too low on the chest and too far to the sides. Adjusting the pockets, the implant position, may help tremendously in such cases.
  3. Of course these are general observations. The nuances of your case depend on your goals and physical findings.
  4. Don't rush into revision surgery until you have discussed your options thoroughly with a surgeon whom you trust.

Thanks for your question.

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Revision breast augmentation

+2

It would be helpful to see before/after pictures (or at least after pictures) to answer you. But in general, there may be a difference in how much projection of enlargement you get with a silicone implant and a saline implant of the same size. I usually have to use a larger silicone implant to achieve the same volume as a saline implant of any given numerical fill volume. For example, if the patient looks good with 350cc saline, she might need a 400cc-425cc gel implant to look the same way.

In general, yes, going larger usually requires at least 50-75 cc added volume to make a substantial (cup size) difference. Have a consultation and see what your options are.

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

I Have a 335cc Cohesive Gel Implant, and I Want to Go Bigger

+2

Very hard to advise without before and after photos posted, my guess is you need at least 150 cc+. Discuss this with your surgeon. 

Want to go bigger with a gel implant

+2

The volume of the implant is the same for silicone and for saline.  It is very difficult to compare your size with your friend's sizes since your body characteristics might be very different.  Breast size, muscle development, rib cage size and skin elasticity will vary with each individual and will therefore make the implants appear different.  Implants also vary as it rates to the width and the projection of the implant so they will look different on each patient.  You should talk to your doctor about options that relate to your body type.  In general, 100cc would give you a noticeable size change.

Elizabeth S. Harris, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Going Bigger

+1

Usually 100 ccs will take you a cupsize larger. This is a rough estimate and depends on the the body size.   It also depends on the profile.  A high profile has more projection and makes it appear larger.The silicone is a more natural feeling implant.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

I Had a Breast Augmentation, and I Want to Go Bigger.

+1

There are many factors in deciding which is the ideal implant to achieve a desired result. All types of  implants will augment your breast the same. The cc's indicate the volume and size, which is standard for saline, silicone, or cohesive gel. You should wait at least 6 months from your original surgery to exchange the implants in order to decrease complications. An implant 150-200cc's larger will increase your breast one cup size. 

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon