I am 33 yrs old, weight 184lbs and had three c-sections. I had a mild heart attack in Aug of last year and have asthma? (photo)

I really want a tummy tuck or mommy make over but I want to know if I will qualify and if my risks will be higher then a normal person. Should I continue to work out and lose weight before the consultation?

+1

Judging from your photos, you can be a very good candidate for a full tummy tuck after loosing some weight. However, your cardiologist and internist should clear you for surgery because both of your medical problems increase your chance of complications and your doctors should fully understand what the surgery involves. In situations like this I communicate with the doctors personally and explain to them what is involved in a tummy tuck. But ultimately you are the one who has to make the decision as to whether you want to subject yourself to the risks for the benefit of having a flat tummy.

Tummy tuck after heart attack

+1

I would start with weight loss. Prior to being a candidate for elective surgery the specific cause of your heart attack would need to be identified and you would need to be medically managed in such a way that you would be safe during and after surgery.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck after heart attack

+1

A prior heart attack and history of asthma certainly increases your risk for elective surgery. Some heart attacks can be attributed to lifestyle choices- such as smoking, obesity, diet, exercise etc? Ask your cardiologist if there are any risk factors you can improve. Weight loss would certainly be beneficial for you and I would recommend you get to a healthy weight.

Melissa Johnson, MD
Springfield Plastic Surgeon

Good candidate for tummy tuck surgery

+1

Most likely, you would be fine to have a tummy tuck surgery. But your would need to be cleared by your cardiologist first. From looking at your photos, it looks as if you would be a good candidate for the surgery now. But, the closer to your ideal weight, the better. If you have the ability to lose more weight, it will only enhance your end results. The C-sections should not be a problem. Those scars should be completely removed with the tummy tuck procedure. If anything, it makes the dissection of the skin flap slightly more challenging, but it is not a contra-indication for the procedure. The asthma issue is also not likely to be an issue, but certainly something to be evaluated by both your surgeon and anesthesia team prior to surgery.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon