33, 5'3, 130lbs, 4 kids all via c-section: Having a hysterectomy & I'd like to get a tummy tuck & lipo at the same time (Photo)

My obgyn recommend me to a plastic surgeon but he is just board elegible ( he just finished his plastic surgery residency a year ago) . I'm wondering if : a ) the combination of hysterectomy, tummy tuck & lipo at the same time is safe enough to consider b ) having a board elegible plastic surgeon perform the procedure is safe / normal practice?

Tummy tuck, liposuction, and hysterectomy

+1
Thanks for your pictures and questions.  Combining the procedures you mentioned can be performed.  However, there is definitely an increased risk of complications including severe ones such as DVT (deep vein thrombosis) and PE (pulmonary embolism).  You should have an extended conversation with your plastic surgeon about these risks and make sure you are a good candidate.  Regarding your board eligible versus board certified plastic surgeon, you should make sure you feel comfortable with him/her and have seen some before and after pictures.  Obviously, a board eligible physician will have less experience than a board certified physician, but that does not necessarily mean he/she is not capable.

Hysterectomy and tummy tuck are better done at separate times

+1
Thank you for your question.  Both hysterectomy and tummy tuck can be done at the same time however at your risk of complications increases.  If you are considering such a procedure my recommendation would be to consult a very experienced plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in this procedure, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

If possible my preference would be to wait 6 months after your hysterectomy before performing your tummy tuck.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and hysterectomy

+1
Depending on your health, tummy tuck and hysterectomy may be performed together in a safe fashion. There are increased risks of which deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism are of significant concern. I have performed many tummy tucks at the same time as hysterectomy and have not had this complication since appropriate prophylaxis was taken. Thorough preoperative evaluation by experienced and skilled surgeons is very important. When combining these procedures, you should also stay in the hospital for a couple of nights to recover and reduce your risks of complications.

Phillip Dahan, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Board Elegible

+1
Great question! All surgeons that have completed a residency in plastic surgery must collect almost a year's worth of surgical cases to be reviewed by the American Board of Plastic Surgery before taking the oral boards. Many of these doctors are good doctors working to get that certification. Word of mouth is important as is experience, so don't be afraid to ask the Ob/Gyn how many joint cases they have done, ask the plastic surgeon how many he has done, or ask for a reference/patient from the plastic surgeon who could maybe tell you about their experience with the doctor. Good luck...and yes, many plastic surgeons do joint hysterectomy/tummy tuck operations but there are increased risks.

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Having a hysterectomy and a tummy tuck and lipo at the same time?

+1
While these combined surgical procedures have been performed together, most experienced plastic surgeons feel that this is a bad combination of surgical procedures to undergo at the same time. There is an increased risk of bleeding, infection, deep venous thrombosis (DVT) and subsequent pulmonary embolism with this specific combination.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

TT and hysterectomy

+1
Based on your photos you are a perfect candidate for a nice, low incision Tummy Tuck In order to get rid of the saggy skin on your abdomen and also to do a tight muscle repair to achieve a flatter abdomen and tapered waist. 
You have to acknowledge that recovery for hysterectomy is kind of tough as well as the Tummy tuck and liposuction,  so your recovery would be hard.
Doing the combination of procedures is very common just have to be extra careful.  
Be encouraged. You will be loving your results.
Dr. Cardenas

Laura Carmina Cardenas, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and liposuction at same time as c-section- not recommended

+1
Immediately after your C-section you will still be swollen and your tissues not quite optimal for tummy tuck surgery.  It is best to lose some post pregnancy weight and let your body recover from the pregnancy before considering tummy tuck surgery.  In general this requires waiting 6-12 months after delivery to proceed with elective surgery

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon