Is it Possible to Predict My Post-Op Bra Size

I am 5'8", 140 lbs., a 32A with loose sagging skin from breast feeding 3 babies, and I'm thinking about getting a breast augmentation of 450cc moderate plus (Mentor). What bra size (band and cup) will that take me up to? I would like to be a full C/small D.

Predicting Breast Size

+1

No surgeon with guarantee a certain cup size. It is important when you are meeting with your plastic surgeons to communicate your expectations and pictures can help. Your band size should not change with breast augmentation  but your cup size will. Breast width base measurement and distance from the nipple to the breast fold are helpful in choosing a breast implant size. Most surgeons with experience are good in realizing their patients expectations but it is not never miss propositions. Do your homework and find a board certified plastic surgeon you have confidence in.

Predicting post-op bra size after breast implants

+1

Since there is no objective measurement of bra size, all you can really expect from a plastic surgeon is an estimate. Cup size varies significantly from one bra manufacturer to another. I prefer to use 3D imaging which simulates what patients will look like with various different sized implants (in cc's or milliliters). This is much more accurate and takes alot of the guesswork out of sizing process.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Best Way to Predict Breast Size and Pick Implants BEFORE Breast Augmentation Surgery

+1

Regarding: "I am 5'8", 140 lbs., a 32A with loose sagging skin from breast feeding 3 babies, and I'm thinking about getting a breast augmentation of 450cc moderate plus (Mentor). What bra size (band and cup) will that take me up to? I would like to be a full C/small D."

Accurate prediction of the bra cup size an augmented breast will fill after surgery is AT BEST a guess. Since women's chest are nearly always asymmetric (due to BOTH breast asymmetry as well as asymmetries in the slant of the chest and location of the breasts on the chest wall) and due to the fact that the lingerie / bra industry is not standardized - There is NO such thing as a "Full C" or A "Full D". Each manufacturer has proprietary information as what volume and projection cups would be an A, B, C etc.

While many surgeons use a variety of ways to educate and direct their patients on which implants may be used, none of the current methods (such as using rice bags or breast implants over the breasts in the bra) are accurate. The BEST way to come close to predicting a breast appearance is with the VECTRA 3D imaging system. The 3D camera captures a 3D picture of you and then can show you what you may look like with ANY breast implant on the market. The system is not cheap and not many surgeons have invested in it. We have used the VECTRA in our office for several months and our patients love it.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Post op Bra Size

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saiine/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 

It will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.