I Had 325 Cc Mentor High Profile Silicone Implants Put in 6 Mos. Ago. I Would Like a Reduction,

I Had 325 Cc Mentor High Profile Silicone Implants Put in 6 Mos. Ago. I Would Like a Reduction. My doctor recommended that since a pocket was made behind the muscle for a 325 cc high profile implant that reducing the size to 300 would be acceptable but if I wanted to go the a 275cc that it would fall to the bottom of the pocket given gravity and would make my breasts point up and look funny. I wonder if you have another opinion and if the diameter of a high profile Mentor implant size 275 cc is the same dia. as the 325 cc implant. I have a small frame hence the reason for high profile implants.

Breast implant size and type?

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Yes, you can do it.

+1

Reducing the size of your implants from 325 to 275 can be easily done.  It will require reducing the size of the pocket that contains the implant to get the best results.  The diameter of the 275cc implant is less than the diameter of a 325cc implant.  You might want to consider using a moderate plus implant.  When I do breast augmentation, I use sizers to compare the size of implants to help with the decision  of which size is the best.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

Going to a smaller implant

+1
Going from a 325cc implant to a 275cc implant will not appreciably change the outcome of the breast other than give you a slightly smaller breast. A reduction of 50 cc is not that significant of a change that any pocket work would have to be done. I don't think it is necessary to go to a different profile implant either. Going to a moderate plus implant will be slightly wider than your current implant.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

50cc Is Not Tremendous Difference In Implants

+1

I think you could have your implants changed from 325cc to 275cc without creating a problem.  I would definitely recommend using a smooth silicone implant, but I agree that the difference in diameters between the two implants volumes is not that great and should not lead to the bottoming that was described.

John Whitt, MD

Breast implant reduction in volume

+1

You are talking about a 50 cc reduction in volume - switching from 325 high-profile to 275 cc moderate-plus profile is not a substantial change in implant diameter. You will have less breast projection with this change. Your surgeon knows what's best for you, but if you dislike the current size, a reduction to the 275 cc mod-plus implant seems reasonable to me.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Pocket Modification Might be Desirable with Smaller Implants

+1

There is no absolute criterion to correlate a specific reduction in implant volume with need for pocket modification.

While the difference in diameter is small, the volume difference also plays a role in the shaping of the breast, position of the implant and nipple orientation (think 3-dimensionally!).

Your surgeon is right to caution you about the possible change in nipple orientation, and the possible need or desirability for pocket adjustment with a smaller implant.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon