Doctor Recommendation for Eyelid Surgery

I'm 32 Years Old, and Have Bags Under my Eyes, my Right Eyelids Are Slightly Puffier Than my Left Side I'm considerind having a blefaroplasty surgery soon but before that i want to go see an optometrist to make sure my eyes are ok.

Is Choosing an ocuplastic surgery doctor is a better choice because of my delicate situation? and most important thing to me is: there's a good chance of getting a good results after the blefaroplasty?

Yes, you are a candidate for Rhinoplasty

+2

From your photo, it does apear that you have fullness of your upper eyelids.  I question whether your eyebrows are also low, which should be checked during your consultation before have an upper Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery).  Occuloplastic as well as plastic and cosmetic surgeons perform Blepharoplasty and Brow Lifts.  See some surgeons with good reputations in your area and have a few consultations.

Eyelid Surgery Doctor for Younger Patients

+2

Hi Waverly5131,

Thank you for sharing your photograph.

Generally, there are a few options to improve the appearance of the lower eyelids, eye bags, or dark circles. First option includes basic skin care, tretinoin, and/or chemical peels. This nonsurgical method helps improve the skin quality, reduce pigmentary changes, and improves overall appearance of the lower eyelid & cheek areas.

Second more advanced option is an injectable filler or fat to plump up the area. Fillers are made of material that is slowly removed over time. Facial fillers treatment is performed in the office vial local anesthesia.

The last option, and also the most aggressive, is eyelid plastic surgery. Cosmetic surgery of the lower eyelid may remove or reposition fat in the eye bag area, and possible remove some sagging skin. Plastic surgeons typically don't recommend cosmetic eyelid surgery in young patients. However, each patient is unique and circumstances may vary. Age alone is not a determining factor if a person is a cosmetic surgery candidate.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a specialist help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a surgeon.

+2

There are two things all these posts agree on: 

1.The quality/magnification of the photo is subpar to allow for a precise evaluation to be made.

2. Many different types of surgeons [Oculoplastics, Plastic, Facial Plastic] are well versed to operate on eyelids, though Oculoplastics surgeons,  GENERALLY but not always,  tend to focus their practices more on the eyelids, as opposed to Facial plastic surgeons [the entire face] and general Plastic Surgeons [the entire body]. Obviously individual surgeon variability is a fact that cannot be denied. Training variability is also to be taken into consideration: Not all surgeons are trained equally in all aspects of cosmetic and reconstructive surgery.

One final thought on your preoperative evalution:  I would recommend seeing an Ophthalmologist [an eye MD/Surgeon] rather than an Optometrist. An ophthalmologist is a surgeon and will be better trained to evaluate a preoperative patient than an Optometrist who focus mostly on Contact lenses and Glasses.

Good luck on your search.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower lid bulging

+1

Based on your photos, there is an asymmetry of the lower lids with a distinct bulge on the left lower lid. This appears to be an orbital fat pad.  However, to better inform you of your options, a photo that examines the tear trough area would be ideal.

John Pak, MD, PhD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Choosing a eyelid surgeon

+1

should be done carefully and you should see their results and also not-so-good results and find out how they managed this.  Both oculoplastic surgeons and plastic surgeons can manage your concerns with great outcomes but you will need to discuss the concerns with them and find out how they plan to achieve your results.

There are fat preserving and fat removal techniques and I'm a preserver as I believe this does have a major impact on your longterm results.  Find out what your surgeon will do and then decide for yourself what technique would work better for you.

As for oculoplastic surgeons being better for eyelid surgery, its unfortunate that some make such claims because it really depends on who the surgeon is, their experience, and most importantly, their judgment.  Some doctors just have poor judgment and that just cannot be helped.

Curtis Wong, MD

Blepharoplasty

+1

It is hard to tell from your photos waht exactly you need, but a blepharoplasty can be performed by a board certified plastic surgeon.

Hard to tell what is going on in that blurry photo of yours

+1

Waverly

I am an oculoplastic surgeon.  Objectively, I would put oculoplastic fellowship training up against any other training in eyelid surgery and tell you that is exceeds that of eyelid surgery training in any other field.  But ultimately, the reality is that as important as the training is, credentials are not a guarantee that you will be happy with the outcome of your surgery.  It might be that in the area you live in, the general plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon does a nicer lower eyelid surgery that your local oculoplastic surgeon.   That in a nut shell is why this business is so scary.  Best advice, don't rush into having eyelid surgery.  See some of my other posts on this subject.  You are young and might do fantastic with non-surgical approaches.  Explore these first.  If they get the job done--fantastic.  If  they don't get the job done, then you have to do homework on finding the right surgeon, and the right approach that will work for you.  This is not an easy or simple task.

Eyelid surgery

+1
I apologize and will confer with the other surgeons it is difficult to tell your exact problem due to the blurring of the photograph and no official examination. A good Oculoplastic or Plastic Surgeon would be a good choice for blepharoplasty surgery. I have performed 1000's of blepharoplasties and each patient and their needs are different . A skilled surgeon will meet with you and discuss your expectations and whether he feels those will be met by the available procedures.

Michael Elam, MD

Choosing a surgeon for eyelid surgery

+1

You are young and it is difficult to see in your photo what the situation in your lower lid exactly is. Some young individuals may have an inherited prominence of the fat within the lower lid, though some have an overactive muscle causing a lid bulge when smiling. An oculoplastic surgeon, or a plastic surgeon, can be a very good choice, but as you are young, be careful with your expectation. There should be very many practices in the Springfield area to help you.

peterejohnsonmd

Eyelid surgery

+1

Your photos are not too clear but it might show a pre-tarsal fold that I is a result of an active and strong obicularis muscle and some folding of the skin as the lid is pulled up.  A caveat is to not seek perfection and accept certain aspects of your anatomy. Chasing a perfection might result in over-treating. You are quite young so aging effects should be relatively minimal and the fold often gives the eyes some characteristics that can be attractive to some and odd to others when lost.

Robin T.W,. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD