32 Years Old. My Allergies Are Making Me Looking Tired. Can Blepharoplasty Help?

I get enough sleep,drink lots of water, and eat healthy. I have allergies and sometimes i get sinus pain under my eyes and on my head.The blefaroplasty will solve the problem of my bags under my eyes? thank you.

Blepharoplasty to help for tired eyes

+2

Most of us ,especially in this season of tree pollen allergies, suffer from allergic blepharochalasis ( allergic shiners).

Looking "tired ' is caused by many factors both mental and physical. But a bleharoplasy  can, in the right case , significantly improve  "tired eyes"

Make sure to look into treatment of your allergies as well.

Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty to remove bags of eyelids.

+1

If you have real fat bags of the upper and or lower eyelids, then yes a Blepharoplasty will help.  However, if your allergies and sinus infections are causing edema and swelling of the eyelid tissues, Blepharoplasty will not help.

Allergies should be controlled prior to undergoing blepharoplasty

+1

It is important prior to undergoing a blepharoplasty to make sure that allergies and/or sinus problems are under control.  Allergies are best treated with cortisone nasal sprays, antihistamine nasal sprays, and pills.  Allergy testing is appropriate if the patient has failed medical therapy.  Chronic facial pain and pressure can be related to allergic sinus polyps and is best diagnosed with a CAT scan of the sinuses. The blepharoplasty will solve the problems of lower lid fat pads and/or bags underneath the lower lids by removing them during surgery.  The fat pads are removed through a transconjunctival approach so there is no external incision.  There are 3 fat pads on the lower lids and the appropriate amount of fat is removed at the time of the surgery.  Blepharoplasty surgery is performed under general anesthesia.  

Seek effective allergy treatment before eyelid surgery

+1

Before considering blepharoplasty, good control of allergy symptoms, including eyelid edema (swelling) and inflammation are important measures to ensure normal healing. If there are "bags" and wrinkles and pigmentation problems surgery will be helpful, along with a laser or chemical peel in many cases.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treat allergies first before lower lid blepharoplasty

+1

A patient's allergies should always be brought under control prior to eyelid surgery.  The lids may show significant swelling (edema) from allergies. In someone your age, the allergies may be the major part of the problem.

Of course, eyelid surgery won't help the allergies at all.

When excess skin and/or fat bulging are the problems, blepharoplasty can significantly improving the effects of aging ("bags") under the eyes. 

Mark Lucarelli, MD, FACS

Madison, WI

Mark J. Lucarelli, MD
Madison Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty for Allergy-related Tired Eyes?

+1

Bags or puffiness under the eyes may be related to your allergies, so make sure that your allergies are well controlled. If the puffiness persists, do try non-surgical options for improvement prior to considering surgery.

Be sure to consult with your allergist or internist for best control of your allergies prior to consultation for blepharoplasty option.

Anifat Balogun, MD

Options for treatment Lower Eyelid Bags from Allergy

+1

Hi Waverly5131,

As other plastic surgeons have stated, first see your allergist and/or ENT specialist to help control your allergies. Then you may consider cosmetic treatment options.

Generally, there are a few options to improve the appearance of the lower eyelids, eye bags, or dark circles. First option includes basic skin care, tretinoin, and/or chemical peels. This nonsurgical method helps improve the skin quality, reduce pigmentary changes, and improves overall appearance of the lower eyelid & cheek areas.

Second more advanced option is an injectable filler or fat to plump up the area. Fillers are made of material that is slowly removed over time. Facial fillers treatment is performed in the office vial local anesthesia.

The last option, and also the most aggressive, is eyelid plastic surgery. Cosmetic surgery of the lower eyelid may remove or reposition fat in the eye bag area, and possible remove some sagging skin. Plastic surgeons typically don't recommend cosmetic eyelid surgery in young patients. However, each patient is unique and circumstances may vary. Age alone is not a determining factor if a person is a cosmetic surgery candidate.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a specialist help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty and "Bags under eyes".

+1

Generally speaking, if the "bags" under the eyes are present all of the time and not just during allergy seasons, a blepharoplasty likely would be helpful.  "Bags" under the eyes can also be hereditary and are not uncommon in people your age.  A consultation with a qualified surgeon in your area would easily answer whether blepharoplasty is the best option for you.

Keith A. LaFerriere, MD
Springfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty

+1
It is difficult to evaluate your complaint of your eyes without a photograph. I believe you are asking if a lower lid blepharoplasty will help with the bags under your eyes and the answer is yes, if they are caused from excessive fat pads under the eyes. If surgery is determined to be beneficial to you then lower lid blepharoplasty is a very effective procedure for relieving the "tired" appearance.

Michael Elam, MD

Blepharoplasty for bags under eyes.

+1

Blepharoplasty for bags under eyes will remove  the excess fat and can be placed in the "hollows" under the eyelids at the same time.