I'm a 32 Year Old, Mother of Two Girls. I Been Dreaming of a Flat Tummy Since I Was a Teen?

I scheduled my full tt. I suffered from severe vomiting during my both pregnancies, with my last baby 11 months ago only gain 12 pounds. Gave birth natural. My weight now is 112 and my height is 5'2. I don't have any stretch marks but if I bend or eat I get a huge bulge . my concern is that since My pre op I lost 17 pounds and it looks to me like I don't have enough skin to pull down and most of it is locate in my lower abdomen. I'm concern I won't be able t get a full TT. Any advise please.

Pre -Op Anxiety

+2

It sounds like you are a good candidate for an abdominoplasty;- although losing 17 pounds since your pre-op evaluation is a remarkable feat. I 'm sure that you have discussed this weight loss as well as your contouring concerns with your surgeon. If not , please do so.  If you were a candidate for a full abdominoplasty before the weight loss, you should still be a good candidate now. But remember the objective is to give you the best results not the biggest surgery.  ...and congrats on the weight loss! It's always best to loose excess weight pre-op (if you can). This will be a benefit to both you and your surgeon. Your anesthesia risks are lowered and surgical contouring is technically easier. You might ask your anesthetist about a scopolamine patch which might deminish post op nausea and vomiting.

Good luck 

Albany Plastic Surgeon

If you have had children, chances are that you can have a full tummy tuck

+2

There is a saying among plastic surgeons that any woman who has had children can have a tummy tuck (a full one).  You likely have sufficient skin laxity to allow redraping of your upper abdominal skin and elimination of the loose skin of your lower tummy.  Experienced plastic surgeons flex the patient's hips in surgery to help with this, and at the same time keep the incision low, within the bikini line.  It sounds like you have a very weak abdominal wall, which is why it protrudes so much if you bend over.  The muscle repair will correct this.  My best advice is that you go to a very experienced plastic surgeon, and also be sure to look at plenty of before and after photos provided by your surgeon.  If you like what you see (and the photos should show the incision), chances are you will like your result.  I've attached a link to this part of my website in case you want to read more.  Also, you are small and the anesthetist needs to use the appropriate anesthetic so you are not vomitting after your surgery.  Be sure to mention your history of vomitting.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for a full Tummy Tuck?

+2

It is difficult to give an impression without photos. But with your history of 2 pregnancies and your doctor's decision to proceed with a full TT( assuming your doctor is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon) it would seem that the chosen procedure ia a correct one. However, if you still have doubt about your upcoming procedure you shoud seek a second opinion, just to be fully convinced. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Weight Loss Enhances Tummy Tuck Results

+2
Congratulations on your post pregnancy weight loss!  The concerns raised regarding tummy tucks after pregnancy are very common.  Many mothers are interested in the impact of weight loss on their results.  Weight loss before and after abdominoplasty typically enhances the results of the procedure.  The loss of intra-abdominal fat or fat around the organs associated with pregnancy induced weight gain is beneficial for your health as well as body contour.  The loss of intra-abdominal fat flattens your stomach and allows for more muscle tightening without making the waistline wider or more square.  The amount of skin removal then depends on the amount of skin excess and laxity.  Skin can typically be removed from the belly button to the supra pubic area.  If you no longer have a lot of skin, then the excess below the belly button can be removed and the muscles tightened without touching the belly button...a mini tummy tuck.  This usually results in a shorter scar...Yeah!  Take an extra moment to talk to your surgeon about how a tummy tuck can be further customized to address your new more healthful body!! Good luck!

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Loose Skin

+2

Your question is excellent. In my opinion, most patients who have had babies have enough skin for a classic tummy tuck. Even thou you think you might not, most people do. Tummy tucks can be modified, however, for those with lesser amounts of skin. This includes moving the umbilicus down as part of a mini tuck. Another option is having a small vertical incision at the bottom of the abdominal skin flap. This would be where the belly button used to be. It is small and not a big deal for most patients, as it is covered by underwear and bathing suits.

The muscle weakness or rectus diastasis is repaired at the same time as part of the tummy tuck. It sounds like you will really benefit from this operation.

Good luck!

Dr Saunders

Christopher Saunders, MD
West Chester Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck for abdominal bulge

+2

If you have significant abdominal muscle weakness or separate of the muscles from the midline (rectus diastasis) then you need to have the muscles repaired during your tummy tuck. If you have enough skin laxity from upper abdomen alone then you should be a great candidate for full tummy tuck. If you only have minimal skin excess at upper part of your abdomen, then you really have two options left. First, mini tummy tuck with possible umbilicoplasty or full tummy with small vertical closure of original umbilicus opening which will result in a short vertical scar at lower part of your abdomen. Find a great plastic surgeon that you trust and discuss the options. Make sure you understand the limitation and scars for each options.

Sincerely,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery 

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Do you trust your DR

+2

I would assume that your doctor would not have scheduled you for a full tummy tuck without examining you and deciding that you had enough skin. If not, see another doctor. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy tuck candidate?

+2

If you have lost weight, I would expect your lower abdominal skin to sag more rather than less.  Losing weight is a great way to lead into a tummy tuck.  Remember that abdominoplasties are individualized operations.  Even if you don't have a huge bulge, you may benefit from the procedure.  However, without photos and an exam, one can only conjecture whether you are a candidate for the operation.  If you have concerns, see another plastic surgeon for a second opinion. Best of luck!

Robert L. Kraft, MD