Combo Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmenation - As Painful As C-Section?

I am 32 year old and have 4 children 6 - 10 month old . I want to do Tammy tuck and breast augmentation in the same time. Can you please give me advice. Is this as painful as ceserian ???

Tummy Tuck Pain vs C-Section

+3

This is one of my most asked questions. I usually tell woman who have given birth, that if they can handle that ordeal: then a tummy tuck is a piece of cake. Operative pain from a C-section is due to entry into the abdominal cavity. There are significant pain fibers within the peritoneum, that cause post operative pain. A tummy tuck does not enetr the abdomen, It is entirely limited to the skin, subcutaneous fat, and fascia of the muscles. Therefore, the pain should be less. Of course gentle handling of the tisues by your sugeon with combined little or no bleeding lessens the post operative pain. Wearing a tight support garment also helps.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Pain Pumps Make All the Difference!

+3

I used to tell my patients that it was similar, but some would tell me the Mommy Makeover (Tummy Tuck + Breast Augmentation) was more painful than a Cesarean Section, others would tell me that it was less.

About seven years ago, I started using a Pain Pump for all my Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck patients. The Pain Pump is a small device that fits into a fanny pack; it drips local anesthetic into the surgery sites through tiny catheters (think of miniature IV tubing) that we place during surgery. The improvement in my patients' post-op comfort has been dramatic!

Ask your surgeon about using a pain pump for your procedure.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Combo tummy tuck and breast augmentation - as painful as c-section?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! These procedures can be effectively and safely performed in one setting. The breasts and tummy tuck are commonly performed together, often referred to as the "mommy makeover". If you are healthy and your surgeon decides that s/he could perform the procedures in a safe time for you, these procedures certainly can be done in one stage. Staging the procedures to have them performed at various times will likely not have any cost benefit for you. When you combine procedures, there is often a discount that is provided by the surgeon for multiple procedures. Also, when having multiple procedures performed at the same time, you save on anesthesia and facility fees, which otherwise are paid for with each individual procedure. In addition, you may benefit by the single recovery time.  Entry into your abdominal cavity is often painful and soft tissue surgery should be tolerated well by most. 

It is your decision as to whether you have your procedures performed in one or multiple stages, but your surgeon will give his/her recommendations. I would consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in these procedures and discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see what your options are as well as have an examination. Your safety is ultimately the most important factor and is always on the mind of your surgeon when making such decisions. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Combo Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation without breast scars

+1
I would recommend that you do both procedures at once for a few reasons: It will be less expensive as only one anesthesia and recovery room charge, you only have one recovery and time off form work. Your breast augmentation procedure in the right hands can be safely done through your tummy tuck incision so there are no scars on the breast - this is my favorite approach over the past 25 years when both are done at the same time. It is not as painful as a C-Section  according to my patients.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Combo Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmenation - As Painful As C-Section

+1

The pain of the combination is equivalent to a c-section, but different since you are dealing with two distinct areas. Some women have indicated that since they have gone through the experience of childbirth, that they are prepared for the pain of a tummy tuck and breast augmentation so they are better able to manage it.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and breast augmentation- Mommy Makeover

+1

tummy tuck and breast augmentation can be combined. This combination is called a mommy makeover. It usually extends the recovery period from two to three weeks. It is not dangerous to combine these procedures as long as you are healthy and have ample help at home.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

+1

I have performed these two together many times, and I have found it to be safe.  As far as the pain is concerned, my patients generally have said that the pain is greater either from the breast or the abdomen.  I have been told that a C-section is more painful, but that is based on the individual. 

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Pain from tummy tuck and breast augmentation performed simultaneously

+1

This will likely be more expensive than a c-seciton especially  tummy tuck with muscle repair and breast augmentation with implants placed under the muscle. This has also been called the Mommy Makoever

Tummy tuck plus aug?

+1

Doing both can be doen.assuming the patient is in excellent health there should be no problem.Pain woul;d most likely come from plication durung a tummy tuck,when we tighten the muscles,but you amy not need that.also if the augment is on top of the muscle versus under,then it is less painful..

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Re: Is a combo tummy tuck + breast augmentation as painful as a C-section?

+1

Since a tummy tuck involves plication “tightening” of the muscles rather than splitting them and entering into the abdominal cavity, an abdominoplasty is generally somewhat less painful than a C Section. The addition of breast augmentation will add a bit more pain for the first few days but Marcaine injected into both cavities will help in the first 24 hours. I combine both procedures routinely with less risk than if done separately. Having delivered four children I feel confident that you will be able to handle a combined procedure easily.

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon