I'm 31 and have noticed extra skin hanging on my jaws. Wasn't there five years ago. Do I need a mini facelift? (Photo)

Sagging skin, mini-facelift, jowls

A mini facelift will only result in minimal temporary improvement in the jawline and cheeks.
Tightening of the neck skin requires a direct approach to the neck. Options include the Precision Tx internal laser to improve the wringling, tighten the neck and reduce jowls. Liposuction of the submental region and jowls will tighten and smooth these areas. Botox or excision of Platysma muscle bands will improve subcutaneous banding. A neck lift will tighten neck skin; some patients are dissapointed due to recurrence of the fine wrinkles under the chin.
Please consult in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatment decisions.

I'm 31 and have noticed extra skin hanging on my jaws. Wasn't there five years ago. Do I need a mini facelift?

You may be a bit young for this procedure, but I cannot determine much from the photo.

Facelift at 31?

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to give you an adequate assessment with the photo that you provided, however, you likely do not have enough skin laxity to justify the cost or inherent risks associated with surgery and anesthesia to warrant surgical intervention. In my practice, I recommend any patients under the age of 40 explore non-surgical options such as filler and/or laser treatments. These treatments, when administered by a certified and licensed professional can be quite effective.

I'm 31 and have noticed extra skin

Dear red, thank you for your question. A mini facelift can improve the jawline and neck , and in some cases the cheeks. Our La Jolla Lift procedure is performed with gentle twilight sedation.  31 is rather young. Consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to see what your best option is. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are many options for both non surgical and surgical facial rejuvenation. An in office consultation is the best way to know

There are many options for both non surgical and surgical facial rejuvenation.I recommend consulting with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Your surgeon will be able to evaluate your facial features and provide you with the best options. He/She will also be able to take into consideration your time frame for expected results, budget and allowable down time (if any). All of these factors will contribute to your decision making process. With that being said, you may be a candidate for Ultherapy, dermal fillers/fat transfer to mid face, or a mini facelift.
Ultherapy is an FDA approved ultrasound treatment that helps lift, tone and tighten your skin gradually over 4-6 months. As we age we also loose subcutaneous volume. Dermal fillers or fat injections are great for re-volumizing this tissue and providing an overall lift to the mid face. Last but not least, a mini facelift will surgically re-position the muscle and skin to its previous position. Sometimes a combination of the above procedures are necessary to achieve your aesthetic goals.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

I'm 31 and have noticed extra skin hanging on my jaws. Do I need a mini facelift?

Unfortunately the photograph is not standardized and only shows a very small portion of your face.  Nevertheless there are some points to consider.

Typically someone in their early thirties would not require a minilft procedure, but perhaps a procedure the re-volumizes the face.  I teach my patients that we sort of age like a balloon, first we deflate then we wrinkles and sag.  Someone in their early thirties is typically in the deflation phase and "re-inflating" with fillers or fat transfer is typically the best option.  The links below shows some examples.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

Mini Facelift Options vs. Vertical Volume Lift

Thanks for such a great question.  This is really an opportunity for me to recommend an even better solution for you!  As we age, even in our late 20's and early 30's, we begin to lose natural volume in the face.  This can even occur at an earlier age if our patients are very fit.

Often times, the patients focus on the jowls, neck line, and smile lines not realizing that the real cause of the sagging is loss of volume up in the cheek area.  

I would recommend consideration in these patients for one of the following:

1.)  Cheek fillers to improve the natural ogee line such as Voluma or Radiesse.
2.)  Patient natural fat re-injection.
3.)  Soft permanent cheek implantation.

In other words, adding volume to the cheek area can lift the sagging tissues back into a natural position correcting the problem at hand and also rejuvenating the heart shaped youthful face.

All of the options have strengths and weaknesses.  Schedule a couple of consults to consider all of your options!

Best of Luck!
Dr. Todd Hobgood

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

I'm 31 and I noticed extra skin hanging on my jaws. Do I need a mini face lift?

A mini facelift is a great procedure to improve our lower face. Some of the sagging tissues are repositioned and excess skin is removed after it is redraped. You might benefit from this procedure. Other things to consider are skin resurfacing procedures and maybe even some filler injections.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

redproxy, many of my patients with your findings have benefited from a short flap facelift that I call a "SignatureLift". The advantage of this approach is that it can be done under local with little brusing or swelling. 

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift at 31

I agree with my colleagues that the photos are limited and given the age, it is more than likely not necessary that you would need any form of surgical intervention.
There are other non surgical options that may be able to help you out.
I would recommend taking this thought process slowly and really researching options, as what you embark upon now at this age, may really dictate the manner in which you would naturally age in the coming years.

Roberto E. Garcia, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon