I'm 30, Slightly Overweight, Cant Lose Pregnancy Weight. In Last 6 Months I've Lost 32 Lbs. Candidate for TT?

I'm 5'6" long torso muscular. Was in horrific auto accident, I'm limited physically, can't stand, walk, or sit long, severe trauma injury to entire lower body meaning exercise is very hard. Been managing weightless via diet and nutrition. Weigh approx 180 lbs now, considering major large Lipo and tummy tuck, for contouring. I have lots of stretch marks from pregnancy and scars 13 surgeries from accident. Alway had trouble with mid sec areas. Considering multiple procedures for maximum results?

Abdominoplasty with mesh reinforcement

+2

Abdominoplasty with mesh reinforcement is a tummy tuck technique, which is effective in reducing weight and keeping weight off.  There are several articles published recently in Plastic and Reconstruction Journal describing the technique and you may be an excellent candidate.  I would recommend this procedure by itself (not combining it with liposuction) to minimize the duration of surgery and possible complications.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Web reference: http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/profiles/weight-loss-surgery-as-systems-engineering

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for Tummy tuck

+1

Being a candidate requires one to be in good health and you have taken steps to make that happen; Congrats!. Your case is not simple so you have to be throughly evaluated and a physical exam must be done alsong with medical clearance. As for the weight, best time to do a TT is after your weight stabilizes. Best way to reduce complicaiton is to have a body mass index (height to weight ration) of less than 30. In the end you want to have surgery without complications so that you can enjoy the quality of your life and good health. See a BC plastic surgeon.

Major lipo with tummy tuck if can't lose weight

+1

If you have skin laxity and stretch marks it is likely that you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck, and some liposuction can help contour and improve the result. The plan for 'major' liposuction however might be a bit misguided. Liposuction has a very poor track record for weight reduction, and sustained weight loss. It would be nice to think that liposuction could push you through to reach your goal, but odds are against it. If you are at the weight you will maintain then go for the tummy tuck. If you are short of your goal professional help with diet and custom exercise is best.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/tummy-tuck

Tummy tuck after major trauma

+1
My first concern would be whether, given your physical condition, you could be medically cleared for surgery so I recommend that you discuss this with your treating physicians. I would be particularly concerned if you were on prescription medication for pain management. Personally, I would prefer that you focus on your rehabilitation before considering cosmetic surgery and that, given those circumstances, that you limit proposed surgeries. See a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.

Candidate for TT?

+1

It is hard to think about what you are describing without a photograph. 

If you are as close to your desired weight as possible, and you have the right combination of excess skin, fat and abdominal wall laxity, and to medical problems making your sugery unsafe, you may well be a candidate. 

The operation you have had, if they were on the abdomen may complicate the decision process, but the only way you can find out your options is to make an appointment with a plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Thanks and best wishes.  

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.